Restaurant/Cafe Choices

Options
I'm going away for the weekend with my hubby in a couple of weeks (camping), and he has told me that I will NOT be doing any cooking!
He's taking me out for meals, and won't take no for an answer.

It's very nice of him, don't get me wrong, but I'm worried about my calorie intake.
I have to be careful anyway with the Diabetes, but, do any of you have any suggestions on what to eat/avoid like the plague?

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I'm going away for the weekend with my hubby in a couple of weeks (camping), and he has told me that I will NOT be doing any cooking!
    He's taking me out for meals, and won't take no for an answer.

It's very nice of him, don't get me wrong, but I'm worried about my calorie intake.
    I have to be careful anyway with the Diabetes, but, do any of you have any suggestions on what to eat/avoid like the plague?
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Isnt part of camping cooking over the open fire. LOL Just pay attention to what you eat when you go out. Ask the restaraunt if they have their nutritinal values for their food somewhere. Try to just get water and watch eating your breads and start with a salad first. That is what I would try to do. I cant spell today.

Connie
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Isnt part of camping cooking over the open fire. LOL Just pay attention to what you eat when you go out. Ask the restaraunt if they have their nutritinal values for their food somewhere. Try to just get water and watch eating your breads and start with a salad first. That is what I would try to do. I cant spell today.

Connie

Hmmm, yeah, that's wot I thought too - different eh? Still, I suppose it's a weekend away from it all LOL

Salad - yeah, I love salad, so that won't be a problem, I can't eat much bread anyway, so that no problem either. I read somewhere that Chicken is better than red meat ???
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes! I worked in a restaraunt and you might as well go ahead and have french fries. They are almost always flakes to begin with, then add in whole milk and a whole lot of butter and salt....

Order whole foods whenever possible.

Dont be afraid to ask the server to have your food made a certain way, just know what you want before she comes to take your order so as to not hold her up.

Ask for no butter, no oil, hold the salt, use other seasonings-cooks like that, nothing fried.

I ask what is in 'fresh greenbeans" for example. Sometimes it is a stick of butter. They will almost always steam stuff for you.

In a breakfast place ( I love breakfast ) ask if the cook uses oil in the pan-can he use spray..or have them poached, yummy.

Have FUN! :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    my new trick with salad is to order the dressing on the side. I dont like the fat free stuff, and need more than just lemon.

I take my fork and dip it in the dressing, then pick up my salad. I swear I had a 2 oz cup of salad dressing and only 1 tsp was gone when I was done.

And chicken is better than beef. I just checked this out this week. There is more saturated fats in beef. So you can eat 4 oz of chicken to every 1 oz of beef. (approx, no expert here)

Turkey is good as is any fish-again not fried and ask them to grill it with lemon.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Whenever I know I'm going out to eat. (which is pretty much never...I hate eating infront of people.) I always look up their site before I go and decide what to order. Most chain resturants have the nutritional info on their site.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i also think the key to staying on track when camping is doing a ton of stuff out doors! my fiance and i just got back from camping and we went for walks, we rented a canoe for 4 dollars and rowed around a big lake, went swimming, played frisbee...etc, so then we could grill hamburgers, drink cocktails, and even went to a local bar and had pizza and cheese balls (something i haven't eaten in YEARS), but it was fun to take a vacation from worrying about food, and just try to do as many fun active things as we could!

we also brought a cooler full of cut up fruit, lots of water, shelled peanuts, pretzels, and bananas so we could have nutritious foods too!!!

have fun!
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I always try to stick with grilled chicken or baked/grilled Tilipia. Veggie soup is a good "filler up". I hope you have a good time camping!:flowerforyou:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    The Salad Bar is my friend! :wink: Also, try to order foods that are processed as little as possible, much healthier that way. But mainly, go have a great time with hubby, and just keep an eye towards *both* calories in, as well as calories burned! Singing around a campfire at night has gotta count for sumpn, right?
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    The Salad Bar is my friend! :wink: Also, try to order foods that are processed as little as possible, much healthier that way. But mainly, go have a great time with hubby, and just keep an eye towards *both* calories in, as well as calories burned! Singing around a campfire at night has gotta count for sumpn, right?

Salad bar - yeah good choice.
    As for the campfire - gotta definately count for some kinda calorie lose :laugh:
    It's our 17th wedding anniversary that weekend, but I don't intend to blow my healthy eating - I just hope I can stay strong when the time comes!
    I'm gonna take Alpen for my breakfasts and my all time favourites - GoAhead yogurt breaks - I luv 'em - but have to be careful with them - rather moreish :tongue:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Grilled, grilled, grilled. I try to order grilled meats when we go out. I think they tend to have less of any kind of sauce, oils, or fat. If it comes with stuff like that on top, scrap it off.

Ask for a box right away, put 1/2 in box, and only eat 1/2 of what they bring. Did you know that the average restaurant meal is really 2x (or more) what is recommended for a meal serving size?

I also go for salads. I find that restaurant vegis tend to be overcooked, full of butter, or full of sodium.