So confused and disheartened

Options
atabt
atabt Posts: 58 Member
I have been a member of MFP for 2 months now and have been faithfully recording everything I eat and all my exercise. I want to lose 25 lbs and in the first week of starting to eat better and drink more water I lost 5 lbs (I'm guessing it was water weight?). But for the last 7 weeks I have been stuck at or around 150 lbs. My actual net calories average 1500 since I started. My target net calories is 1200 (to lose 2 lbs per week) and I guess with business trips and weekends even though I often meet my 1200 target my average is bumped up by my "off" days.

But shouldn't I still be losing weight at net calories of 1500?

I am getting so confused by people who are posting here saying that they lose weight by eating more.

I also thought that perhaps I had gained muscle while losing fat, but I read a few posts on here saying that's a bit of a myth.

I have to say that I am stronger and firmer after 2 months of regular exercise. My stomach is flatter (I don't have measurements, tho) and I have been able to tighten my belt a notch or two. So I am seeing some results. However I cannot figure out why I am not losing any weight and my patience is really starting to run out.

I will admit that I am a numbers person and so that may be adding to my angst. The other NSVs are great, but ultimately I need to meet my weight loss goal, right? How am I going to fit into those leather pants from before I had kids (my goal) if I don't lose the excess weight?

Sorry for the long rant, but I really am so confused by my lack of results and am getting quite disheartened. If anyone has some advice I would be very grateful to hear it.

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you've stayed at the same weight, but want to lose more, you've reached a plateau. It's expected on a calorie-reduced plan. Here's an explanation of what's happening, and how you can fix it!

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    From looking at your food diary's you are hitting your caloric goal but you are also going over. The key to losing weight is be a caloric deficit and still eating all the time, you have to burn 3200 calories a week just to burn 1lbs of fat. That is something to keep in mind so what you are eating now is good but you might want to cut some of the sweet foods out and increase exercise.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If you have noticed that your stomach is flatter, and more tone, you ARE getting results. Muscle mass can weigh more than fat, so although the scale may not be budging, you are losing in inches.
    My advice would be to cut a bit of your carb intake, have protein with every meal, and it sounds like you exercise regularly.
    I don't think the whole myth thing is a myth; if you have lost inches but maintain the same weight, then how do you explain that. Weight training clearing helps you burn fat.
    Also make sure you are not eating late at night. It is also important that you bowels move regularly and keep your sodium intake low.
    I hope that helps, its what I have found to work.
    Alicia
  • andrea1908
    andrea1908 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't get discouraged...I just started my food diary last week...Saturday May 21st to be exact...I've only lost 1.5 lbs and my goal is 2 lbs per week...I had to remind myself today, the weight wasn't gained overnight, because I so want to fit back into my clothing....:smile: Be encouraged!
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You are unlikely to be able to lose 2 lbs a week in a healthy way.

I weigh 150 lbs. Because it is unlikely to be healthy to net fewer than 1200 calories a day, MFP will not set a calorie goal below that. So if I put in to lose .5 lb/week, I get 1,410 calories a day as my goal (with my activity set to sedentary, which is sadly true.). Set to lose 1 lb/week, I get 1200 calories a day, but if you do the math (250 calorie deficit a day to lose .5 lb a week), it 'should' be 1160. Set to lose 2 lbs/week, still get 1200: it simply isn't likely to be healthy for someone who is close to a healthy weight to lose more than .5 or 1 lb week.

I do lose weight even if I eat 1500 net calories a day over time, but it's extremely slow. I never would have noticed if I hadn't upgraded to an expensive and seemingly very accurate digital scale: on the old dial scale I couldn't even see a .25 or .5 lb loss. Keep in mind, too, that weight fluctuates day to day and hour to hour: makes it tough to see small weight losses. That's why I weigh daily: so I can look for a downward trend over time.

You are doing great, and in a few months, you'll probably weigh less, too.
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's easier to lose weight when you set it at 1/2 to 1 lb per week lost. 2 lb per week kind of "shocks" your body into a plateau after about a month. It happened to me and when I changed to 1 lb per week, the weight has steadily been dropping again. Remember, you didn't put it on overnight, there isn't an express way to get it back off.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    it's a challenge to stay on track when you travel on business, but it can be done. wrap your mind around the idea that you aren't going to let your guard down before you leave, and maintain that discipline while you're on your trip. also, mfp gives you your projected weight in 5 weeks every day when you record your last entry. log that number in the food notes for the corresponding day five weeks out. it provides useful feedback. last, if you are having trouble staying with the plan based on your goal of dropping two pounds a week, maybe your goal is too aggressive and you need to ratchet it back to something more achievable for you. nothing demotivates you faster than getting behind the eightball with a goal that was too much of a stretch for you; you need positive reinforcement to stay on track. good luck!
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow - thank you, everyone! I've carefully read all of your comments and there is a gem of helpful information and in each and every one of them. I will reconsider my weight loss goal timeline and will also focus on continuing to stick to my net calorie goal while re-balancing my carb and protien intake. I've re-set my MPF goals to losing 1 lb per week and my net calorie goal is now 1400. With the same planning I put into my exercise when I travel, I should be able to do better with my calories when I'm away as well.

This was what I needed - thanks for all the advice and encouragement!!

A.