Question for all the cat people here

Options
we had a cat that didn't take the addition of our son well and got even worse when we moved. she started peeing on things. we tried to medicate her and when that didn't help we gave her up (to a quieter, no kid house). I'm told she is doing okay now. my question is....we are considering getting another cat BUT i am afraid the same thing will happen. we obviously cleaned up after her and don't notice the smell but will another cat mark its territory and start the whole thing over again? I don't want to make a bad decision-- there seems to be a lot of cat lovers on this site and I would REALLY appreciate help in making the right choice! Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• Laine
    Laine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    we had a cat that didn't take the addition of our son well and got even worse when we moved. she started peeing on things. we tried to medicate her and when that didn't help we gave her up (to a quieter, no kid house). I'm told she is doing okay now. my question is....we are considering getting another cat BUT i am afraid the same thing will happen. we obviously cleaned up after her and don't notice the smell but will another cat mark its territory and start the whole thing over again? I don't want to make a bad decision-- there seems to be a lot of cat lovers on this site and I would REALLY appreciate help in making the right choice! Thanks!:smile:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I had a cat (Mr.Moops how I loved thee) and yeah, he was my snuggle muffin and LOVED me (boohoo) until I had my son.
    The entire time I Was pregnant he snuggled my belly and loved me but once Colby came OUT he was not amused!
    He *moved out* (he just left home!!) and we see him all the time and he's well fed and happy looking LOL
    He comes home once a year or so to get something to eat fro US, but he's left us!

I'd probably get a female cat next time so she won't spray and get her fixed right away....=o) I think female cats are very loving =o)
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Oh wait, I see that you did have a female before...oops
  • pecksun8
    Options
    We had a really bad problem with a rescue male cat. He obviously was not used to living inside, so unfortunatly we had to find him another home. We had hoped he would follow our other cats lead and just do what she did, we never had any problems with her.

I highly recommend getting one of those small bissel type cleaners that use water. Also do not use any type of amonia product to get rid of animal pee/marking stains. It's like leaving an X marks the spot for the cat to re-mark.

The key is to really clean those area's with a pet nutralizer formula with the bissel.

I recommend getting a female cat to avoid marking. But we just found a new male kitten and so far so good, and I can't wait to get him fixed so we won't end up having that problem. So far he follows our other cat around so much, she is getting a bit tired of it.
  • ShanIsRad
    Options
    I would get another female cat, they typically do not mark their territories (but, there are some exceptions like the one you had). However, I would not get a full-grown cat, I would get a kitten instead so it could bond with the baby and hopefully not have any jealousy issues. And don't forget to adopt from a shelter or a local rescue group! :bigsmile:
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but I do have 4 cats. Just introducing a new cat into an already multi-cat household is hard. The new cat needs your attention and the other cats are upset because they're not getting the attention. From what some of my friends have told me that do have kids, they had to find a balance between the cat & the baby. I know it sounds funny but until the baby arrived their cat(s) were the center of attention. They were the baby, if you will. So when the real baby came along, they just shued the cat away. The cat gets mad and retaliates in ways that it can. One of my friends' cats liked to lay in the infant seat. Well, she didn't want cat hair all over her little girls seat so she went to a yard sale and bought a used one for the cat. She sat them side by side, blankets and all and the cat sat in hers while the baby was in hers. Might sound dumb but it worked without the cat getting her nose out of joint. If you were going to get another cat I would try to get a kitten, maybe 3-4 months old. That way the baby and kitten kind of grow up together. I don't think you'll have the same problem because a new can't won't feel slighted with the baby's presence.

I forgot to mention that I have 3 female cats & 1 male cat. The females are loving but territorial. The male is loving but he's a Maine Coon, so it comes natural for him. I don't think it matters what gender you get, I would just get a younger one that isn't already set in his ways. Hope this helps.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think this really depends also on the cat. I have two female cats .... both 18. They did wonderful when I had my daughter almost 7 years ago and when we moved from the US to Italy (again almost 7 years ago) AND when we got a new German Shepherd puppy once here (6 years ago).

I'm not sure about the marked areas.....I guess just clean, clean, and clean before you introduce a new cat.

Good luck. :smile:

-Katy