How do you do it???

Amy62575
Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
edited September 27 in Motivation and Support
Ok people, I need some tips, advice, suggestions, etc. on how you work full-time and make time for exercise. In January I started seriously on mfp and joined a gym, while I was working part-time. I just went back to work full-time at the beginning of May and since then I have slowly decreased my time working out. As of today, I haven't worked out for almost 2 weeks (yikes!!! :angry: ).

Let me give you my schedule and you tell me how I can fit exercise into it:

Monday through Friday

Up at 6am to be out the door by 7:30 to get to work by 8:30 (yes it's about a 45-55 min. commute)
Work til 5 or 6pm then get home around 6 or 7pm. Get kids, cook dinner, help with homework, baths and bedtime by 9pm
Then I am either doing laundry, cleaning up dinner stuff or doing my own homework (oh, did I forget to mention I am taking 2 classes online right now, with hw due by Wednesday nights at midnight and Sunday nights by midnight)

I also I have JM's 30DS, 6packAbs and another one and Turbo Jam videos but I just can't seem to get myself motivated to do them at home.

Help!:noway:

Replies

• jpierce8806
    jpierce8806 Posts: 44
    I usually work out after I get off work...I get home put on work out clothes and go to the gym. if your husband or bf is home you might as him if he wouldnt mind cooking on the days of the week that you're going to work out. I hope that helps. :):)
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Your schedule sounds like mine. To me if its important enough I make time for it. I work out at 4am and 3 days a week I fit in a second workout in the evenings.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    I work F/T from home plus I'm a stay ay home Mom with a toddler who takes 1 nap a day (I miss that morning nap, I would work out then). I get up 90 minutes before her to work out. It's hard, the first week is a *****, but once I get in the routine I'm golden. I pop in a DVD and I go in the morning. And if she wakes up earlier than expected I stop where I am and try to walk with her or incorporate exercises into play time, playing on the floor in a plank, hover over her in a push up position and giver her 10 or so kisses when I'm really doing push ups, crawl after her which is a fun game to her, etc.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    I do the Leslie Sansone in home walking. It's available On Demand, or you can get the DVDs. One of her walks is only 20 minutes. I would think that would be do-able. If you have On Demand there are also 10 minute workouts that you could squeeze in.

My BEST advice? In the mornings when you are getting ready for work, take an extra 2 or 3 trips up and down a set of stairs. I do about 10 push ups on the staircase as I'm going up, maybe 3-4 times a day. Before work you could also squeeze in some crunches.

In the evenings I would do squats in the kitchen while cooking, running in place. Just keep MOVING! I know it's hard to get motivated after such a long day but maybe your kids could help you. I used to walk in place while my daughter was in the bath. Try googling some simple exercises you can do at home that would only take a minute or two and scatter them through your day.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member

My BEST advice? In the mornings when you are getting ready for work, take an extra 2 or 3 trips up and down a set of stairs. I do about 10 push ups on the staircase as I'm going up, maybe 3-4 times a day. Before work you could also squeeze in some crunches.

I don't get to the gym much either during the week. I have two little ones, and the hubby is often gone for work. If i push myself and I get off work in time, i maybe make it once during the week. BUT I try to go up and down the stairs as many times as I can when I'm doing bathtime, bedtime, housework in the evenings.

I also try to walk on my breaks at work. I have a ten minute walk to/from my car at work too. so between walking at breaks and walking to/from my car, I get 40 minutes of walking in and I try to go at a good clip so I'm working a little harder.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    To me if its important enough I make time for it.

I have to keep reminding myself of this!!!

Thank you all for your input - great advice!!!
This discussion has been closed.