best for fat burning? intervals???

Options
Lots of discussion about this lately which has made me question my workouts.

My stats: 120lbs, weight train (with trainer 2x week - 1 hour), cardio (stairmaster, running, jumping rope - 6x week, 45-60min). I'm in pretty good shape.

Like all women, I desire that flat tummy....I dont' have it. I carry all my fat in my belly - I do ab PX90 1x week, and other ab stuff 1 more time. I can't seem to burn that stubborn fat. The only way I did it before was on a training diet for a fitness show and I don't really want to go back to chicken and sweet potatoes for weeks (1200 cal max).

Should I do interval training instead of full out stairmaster for 45 minutes? Which is better, 30 minutes interval or 45 minutes at full out?

How do you recommend I burn the most calories/fat? I am frustrated that at 45 minutes of high level stairmaster I'm burning 250 calories....and 30 minutes of running 275.

Replies

• hasselh
    Options
    Lots of discussion about this lately which has made me question my workouts.

My stats: 120lbs, weight train (with trainer 2x week - 1 hour), cardio (stairmaster, running, jumping rope - 6x week, 45-60min). I'm in pretty good shape.

Like all women, I desire that flat tummy....I dont' have it. I carry all my fat in my belly - I do ab PX90 1x week, and other ab stuff 1 more time. I can't seem to burn that stubborn fat. The only way I did it before was on a training diet for a fitness show and I don't really want to go back to chicken and sweet potatoes for weeks (1200 cal max).

Should I do interval training instead of full out stairmaster for 45 minutes? Which is better, 30 minutes interval or 45 minutes at full out?

How do you recommend I burn the most calories/fat? I am frustrated that at 45 minutes of high level stairmaster I'm burning 250 calories....and 30 minutes of running 275.
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    You want to change up your workout and not get comfortable with what you are doing. Try some interval training twice a week and do long cardio the other times. We all can't target that stupid stomach area, I have the same problem. I'm a triathlete and you would think i would have a two pack at least:laugh: :laugh: but i don't. Just mix it up a bit
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I know it's been said before here, but you really can NOT spot reduce. It sounds like you have a good routine going on. I love Ab RipperX! For me, intervals is the way to go. I love cardiocoach.com for some awesome mp3 workouts. Coach Sean mixes things up for you- he'll tell you when to do hills, sprints, etc. It makes the treadmill FUN! I'm a triathlete also and try to keep mixing things up, so I bike, run, swim, lift weights (P90X). I don't have a perfect tummy (I've had 3 big babies!) but it's gotten a LOT better!!

I'll also say that it's about 80% diet for your tummy. You've got to get your bf low enough to show off those abs. You don't have to live on chicken & sweet potatoes, but a diet w/ good carb, lean protein, and good fat is a good way to see results! Good luck!

Jess
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Okay -- I am not a triathelete or a fitness person but I work out -- A LOT. With that said and -- 3 babies later -- no flat tummy. It is sooo frustrating but I am trying to get into a mental state of acceptance. I don't want to eat chicken/tuna and veg for the rest of my life so... good luck and I am envious of your stamina and control as I have totally just said bye bye to the perfect abs (for me). although.. have heard pilates help alot with the core work but think everyone is right -- BF has to be really low to shine through...