Push ups hurt my wrists.

Options
sarah44254
sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
I'm obviously doing it wrong. My wrists hurt pretty bad when I do push ups. Boyfriend bought me some little arch things that you can hold onto. I wonder if doing pushups with the help of those arch things is the same benefit as with just your hands. Any thoughts?

Those things:

good+form.JPG

Replies

• brit1329
    brit1329 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that if you have trouble with your wrists during push-ups that you can use a dumbbell so the pressure isn't on your wrist. I would imagine that's the same principal.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Pushups KILL My wrists too :S
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I'm guessing the slight difference of fisted hand or flat hand isn't going to change the push up quality? It doesn't seem like a big difference ...

I wonder why my wrists hurt though.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative joint disease and push-ups are dreadful ... try the risers or the dumbbells. The work you are doing in the push-up is for the the shoulders, back, chest and arms, not the wrists, so the position doesn't really matter. What matters is finding a way to work those muscles without additional pain or injury. :)
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Push ups, planks, side planks...they all kill my wrists. You are definitely not alone on this one... I try to limit the time I spend on them...if I am doing a work out where I will be putting a lot of pressure on them I try and do sit ups or something that will allow them some rest before I get back on them.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do pushups with dumbbells. The only reason I'm doing it is because Bob Harper does it in his DVD.
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You can also tape up your wrists for added support. It will keep your wrists straight. Hope it helps, good luck!
  • ginakelley
    ginakelley Posts: 33
    Options
    They say pushups with the bars are actually better for you because it is less "tweaky" on the wrist and you can go deeper into the pushup, getting a better range of motion and working the muscles more... They will be harder for you to do, but a better workout!! I love mine And now when I do pushups without them, the seem easy!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It may be positioning too, make sure your hands are right over your elbows. It makes it harder but it's the 'right way' to do a push up.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    How does the tape work? My wrists need to bend to do a push up, right? I can keep them straight if I use a tool (the arches or a dumbbell) if that is what you mean?
  • sarah44254
    Options
    So what direction do your fingers face during a push up? My fingers go all over, sometimes in, out, wonky which ways :S
  • sarah44254
    Options
    They say pushups with the bars are actually better for you because it is less "tweaky" on the wrist and you can go deeper into the pushup, getting a better range of motion and working the muscles more... They will be harder for you to do, but a better workout!! I love mine And now when I do pushups without them, the seem easy!!

oh excellent! they are easier for me with the bars simply because it doesn't hurt me. That is awesome to know I'm getting a better range.
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    mine too!! anything on the wrists hurts! Planks, pushups, reverse planks, mountain climbers. I just figured it was because I carry most of my weight in my upper body and it just hurts my wrists to hold it up... sometimes I use dumbbells, sometimes I use fists, if they hurt too much during planks, I will do a hover (lower arms on the floor). Hopefully this will improve with the weight loss!
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    I use a small blanket under my wirst and it seems to help out alot :)
  • sarah44254
    Options
    a blanket, I will try that! for my mountain climbers, they definitely hurt! I never remember to grab the arches because I am usually doing them in an interval setting and going as fast as I can between sets. I will try to have them available, and if not, a blanket!