wine allergy?

Options
Levedi
Levedi Posts: 290 Member
I had 4 oz of chardonnay at dinner two hours ago and almost immediately my face started to hurt, turn bright red and hot as if I was having a hay fever attack. I still feel sick and my face hurts - it's also bright red. Has anyone had this happen to them? Is it possible to be allergic to wine? I've had white wine plenty of other times with no bad reaction. I had an Italian sub for dinner, but again, I've eaten the same sub from the same deli before with no reaction.

Replies

• Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I had a friend in college who reacted like that, but she reacted to all alcohols, wine or not.
  • jen_42
    jen_42 Posts: 26
    Options
    Have you had that wine before?? perhaps you should check the ingredients and see if there is anything different to the wine you have drunk before..

I havent had a reaction to wine before..but i know some wines have additives which can cause an reaction
  • Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It is very possible for one wine to cause reactions and not others. There are some wines which cause me problems, others not so much. For me, it all depends on what the wine was made with besides grapes. Some fruits will cause me problems, like mango or papaya.

It might also be possible that your deli accidentally contaminated your sandwich with something you're allergic to. In my case, I have to watch the folks at subway like a hawk, to make sure they don't cut my sandwich with the same knife they used to cut an avocado. They're not supposed to do that, but mistakes happen, and even that little bit will cause me problems.
  • kcphilly
    kcphilly Posts: 71
    Options
    The difference could be be in the type of wine. Both myself and a friend have issues with darker wines. She gets bad headaches from red, and I get flushed in the face. Some wines have sulfides in them, and which I think is the problem for me.
  • Levedi
    Options
    I've never had this brand of chardonnay before - it was a gift. Normally I drink white wines because reds give me migraines, but I've never had a food allergy of any kind before. I can drink gin with no bad effects. Most of the whites that I like are German whites though - I almost never drink Chardonnay. I'm definitely going to check the box for ingredients and tell my doctor.
  • ContinuousEffort
    Options
    Good, I think you need a doctor's help. I'm glad you are okay. It sounds like a bad allergic reaction.
  • Levedi
    Options
    Further update in case anyone is curious - the wine does contain sulfites and now I have the start of a migraine. Faboo. It is definitely going on my list of things to avoid in future. I do like a good wine now and then, but really I can live happily without it if this is going to be the result.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Further update in case anyone is curious - the wine does contain sulfites and now I have the start of a migraine. Faboo. It is definitely going on my list of things to avoid in future. I do like a good wine now and then, but really I can live happily without it if this is going to be the result.

There are some low-sulfite versions. My mom has had problems with sulfites in wines for years.