are some exercises better than others?

Options
So, I can't run or jog as I have terrible knees! I don't mind walking, but my preferred exercises are my elliptical or cycling due to the low impact on my joints. I just wondered if they are good enough compared to running?

Replies

• mum2littledove
    mum2littledove Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    They maybe don't burn as many calories per minute as running, but the important thing is that you enjoy them & they don't injure you. That way, you are more likely to do them more frequently, and keep on doing them for the rest of your life. That is the most important choice factor with exercise. Elliptical training is a good all rounder. Keep it up!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I'd go through and search for the elliptical vs treadmill debates previous users have posted. Obviously the elliptical is low impact and doesn't cause you pain. Ideally you're goal is to be within your target heart range for a certain period of time. Maybe try upping the resistance for a few minutes or the "incline" and then back down. It may simulate doing a "HIIT" that some do on treadmills. Another good thing would be "water walking" if your gym has a pool or a local pool for the summer.

I'm in no way an expert - it just seems to me like common sense.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes, they're definitely good enough. The elliptical tends to burn more calories per hour due to the fact that you're still supporting your body weight, but both will burn calories and raise your cardiovascular fitness.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I think considering your options thats the best choice!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    So, I can't run or jog as I have terrible knees! I don't mind walking, but my preferred exercises are my elliptical or cycling due to the low impact on my joints. I just wondered if they are good enough compared to running?

Weight bearing activities are best for weight loss to answer your question directly. Any exercises that expend energy is fine. Don't make the mistake of trying to be a perfectionist. Just do what you can with out putting too much physical/emotional stress on your body.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Even marathon trainers are advised to do one session a week on the elliptical to avoid knee strain. And you don't see many fat cyclists, do you? Both are perfectly fine as exercise!
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    cool, ta for the advice -feel bit better now! (just keep seeing how everyone goes on about how fabulous running is and thought i was being rubbish!)