Heart Rate Monitor w/ Calorie Burn Counter.

Bengree
Bengree Posts: 12
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Reading a few posts on other fitness websites and most of them say that calorie burn calculators can some times be inaccurate. With some workouts estimated at 500 calories burned when a heart rate monitor would say 300 calories burned, some times the other way around.
I'm not saying My Fitness Pal is inaccurate, it might be spot on, but I wouldn't mind a more accurate second opinion.
So long story short, does any one use a "Heart Rate Monitor w/ Calorie Burn Counter" while Workibg out and if so how accurate is it compared to My Fitness Pal?

Replies

• Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    my HRM shows kcals burned and it almost always shows more than MFP, but I am 265lbs so heavier than the average MFP user
    it takes more effort for me to do the simple things like walking - cant even jog or run AT ALL

i take the average between MFP and HRM and enter that as my kcals burned, that way i'm meeting MFP half way

i know someone on here who is quite slim, and her HRM says she burns less than MFP tells her

suppose everyone is different
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    mine generally says less but I struggle to do things generally so could be why, I go by my hrm
  • JCubbins
    JCubbins Posts: 92
    I use SIGMA PC9 and I completely rely on it. MFP usually adds only 2-5 cals, so it's really accurate.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    MFP is definetely not Accurate. Yes, a good HRM will definetely give you a more accurate calorie burn. An HRM is about the best investment I have bought during this weight loss journey.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    MFP and HRM's are very different. Just like HRM's and the machines at the gym are way off too.. at least for me. I generally either get an overestimate of a hundred calories or an underestimate of about 200 calories.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    MFP is definetely not Accurate. Yes, a good HRM will definetely give you a more accurate calorie burn. An HRM is about the best investment I have bought during this weight loss journey.

Totally agree there, it was the best thing I've ever bought. It will work out calories burned specific to you rather than a guesstimate that is logged on MFP. I have the Polar FT40 and wear the watch all the time
This discussion has been closed.