why starvation mode effects some and not others...

Options
registers
registers Posts: 782 Member
There was a big debate going on about starvation mode, I said it was a myth and a lot of people said "i have experienced it." Other says "I ate very low calories with no effects of starvation mode."

They mostly said "it's true because the great authorities say so." So here it is. Stravatoin mode is a term to describe when someone loses muscle mass due to a low caloric diet inhibiting their fat burning abilities. The less muscle mass you have the less calories you burn.

To clarify some said, "I ate low calories and I didn't lose weight." Other said, "i ate low calories and i still lost weight."

I told them "its the macro nutrient ratios you used" some didn't buy it cause I didn't get in to detail about it. Here are the details.
Your immune system requires amino acids, which is found in muscles. When you're on a low calorie high carb diet, it's difficult to get amino acids to the immune system. Your system breaks down your muscle tissue to get amino acids to the immune system. This is your loss of muscle mass, which in turn leads to a lower metabolic rate. For those of you who don't know this high carb diet, also increases blood sugar in the body, when blood sugar is in the body above 110mg insulin is released, insulin is released to lower your blood glucose levels. It clears the blood stream until your blood sugar is under 110mg. It does this by storing the glucose in your muscle(which are probably already full cause you're on a high carb diet) if it can't store glucose in the muscle it will store it as body fat. This is your fat gain, and loss of muscle mass, aka your myth of starvation mode. Notice it doesn't have much to do with caloric intake, it's about macro nutrient ratios. Of course you need a certain amount of protein for your body. If you go to low you won't be able to meet those requirements, and muscle mass is also loss. Your body just can't support your current muscle mass with too little calories.

The people who do eat low calories with out the plateau is due to higher protein levels. Enough protein to support most of the muscle mass, and also the immune system requirements. You either have higher carbs, or higher proteins (not taking fats in to consideration). You also do need carbs, your brain runs on carbs, your brain is the "mac daddy" of the organs. Everything that can be done to keep the brain running will be done. Protein can get converted to glucose this process is called gluconeogenesis. Don't mis interpret this information with "I'll just eat protein then."

I know someone who was eating 1000 calories a day, it was a male. That's very low for a male, and he lost a lot of weight. I asked him "what where your macro nutrient ratios" he told me "mostly carbs." For a second.... this made no sense to me at all. I said to myself "how is that weight loss even possible with a diet very low in calories and high in carbs?" Then i was like "duh" I asked him "how much did you exercise?" He said, "60-120mins of high intensity cardio" Now it made sense. He was burning up all the glucose in his muscle, and once glucose is gone, the muscle burns fat. High intensity uses muscle fibers 2A and 2B which burn up carbs quickly. It's very possible to lose weight on a low calorie diet, just depends on how you do it.

I personally don't recommend a very low calorie diet, don't think that's what I am trying to say. Either way you still lose muscle mass, remember your mac daddy brain? it runs on glucose, if you take in little carbs, it will convert muscle to glucose so the brain can run.

This pretty much means a diet needs to be constructed from a protein basis so you can meet your daily protein needs. This is done by knowing your lean body mass. Your lean body isn't how much you weigh, it's your solid muscle mass. You need to get your body fat measured to calculate your lean body mass.

if you're sedentary you multiple your lean body mass by .5
light activity * by .6
moderate * by .7
active * by .8
very active * by .9
athlete * by 1.0(or just 1)

Whatever macro nutrients ratios you use, should be based around your protein requirements. Feed the body, not the fat.

Replies

• jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This was interesting to read.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    Bump, thanks alot for posting this. A lot of people here needs to hear this, including me. I finally figured out the macronutrient about a month ago and even thoughon most days my calorie intake is low but my macronutrients is right on point. Great post again
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Thank you for pointing out that it's not as simple as "eat 1200 calories or else!", and the importance of the right nutritional content. That is very useful info.
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Bump to absorb this later when I'm more awake:)

Thanks for taking the time to post this.
  • forJupiter
    forJupiter Posts: 45
    Options
    Good read. Definitely got to figure out my macronutrients!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's totally unnecessary to micro mange your freaking dietary intake. We all know that we need to stay away from refined sugars/simple carbs because they offer no nutritional value to our bodies.. Other then that there are no sugar worries. We actually need to get more of our calories from fats be it healthy fats. Back in the 60's the American diet was made up of roughly 45% calories from fat. We had a 13% obesity rate and Type 2 diabetes which is more prone for overweight people was only 2% of our population. Interesting link with explanations. http://health.learninginfo.org/good-bad-fats.htm

When we start messing with the natural order of things bad things start happening. The quack savior Dr. Atkins was proven that his diet was highly unhealthy as were all low fat diets schemes. Its more important to me to get a very healthy amount of dietary fat then it is to watch how many carbohydrates i eat.

With that being said eating a healthy balanced diet of meats, fruits and vegetables is naturally lower in carbohydrates but not unhealthy low. As to starvation mode. Has anybody ever seen a starving person that was fat. Let's use common sense folks.

I've lost 41 lbs and my muscle strength is much above what it was when i was at my highest weight. As long as your body has fat stores, it won't steal muscle mass for fuel, You would have to be incredibly lean to even consider this happening. Here is another interesting site that explains how our body uses fuel

http://www.hornetjuice.com/fat-burning-myths.html

The info is out there you just have to actually look for it! Oh yeah low intensity cardio burns way more fat then high intensity.
  • registers
    Options
    It's totally unnecessary to micro mange your freaking dietary intake. We all know that we need to stay away from refined sugars/simple carbs because they offer no nutritional value to our bodies.. Other then that there are no sugar worries. We actually need to get more of our calories from fats be it healthy fats. Back in the 60's the American diet was made up of roughly 45% calories from fat. We had a 13% obesity rate and Type 2 diabetes which is more prone for overweight people was only 2% of our population. Interesting link with explanations. http://health.learninginfo.org/good-bad-fats.htm

When we start messing with the natural order of things bad things start happening. The quack savior Dr. Atkins was proven that his diet was highly unhealthy as were all low fat diets schemes. Its more important to me to get a very healthy amount of dietary fat then it is to watch how many carbohydrates i eat.

With that being said eating a healthy balanced diet of meats, fruits and vegetables is naturally lower in carbohydrates but not unhealthy low. As to starvation mode. Has anybody ever seen a starving person that was fat. Let's use common sense folks.

I've lost 41 lbs and my muscle strength is much above what it was when i was at my highest weight. As long as your body has fat stores, it won't steal muscle mass for fuel, You would have to be incredibly lean to even consider this happening. Here is another interesting site that explains how our body uses fuel

The info is out there you just have to actually look for it! Oh yeah low intensity cardio burns way more fat then high intensity.

I don't disagree with you, keeping it simple is best, if you have "typical goals" If you want better results at anything, you have to pay more attention to what you're doing.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    Oh yeah low intensity cardio burns way more fat then high intensity.

That's good to know, thanks
  • registers
    Options

Keep in mind, that might be true. HIgher intensity exercise burns more calories than low intensity exercise.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Just for bumping purposes. Glad you posted it.
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Keep in mind, that might be true. HIgher intensity exercise burns more calories than low intensity exercise.

Right. One can't make a blanket statement that low intensity cardio burns more fat than high intensity cardio.

You'll burn more calories doing high intensity cardio than low-intensity cardio over the same period of time. Most new exercisers can't sustain high intensity cardio for long enough to run through their glycogen stores and start burning fat, but may be able to sustain low intensity cardio long enough.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    this is a really long post...Saving for later reading.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Just have to say that yes, I have seen a man weighing over 500 lbs die of starvation. I'm sure there are others in the medical field that have seen this too. Very sad, but yes, it can and does happen.
  • registers
    Options
    Just have to say that yes, I have seen a man weighing over 500 lbs die of starvation. I'm sure there are others in the medical field that have seen this too. Very sad, but yes, it can and does happen.

That's crazy.
  • keepsiejess
    keepsiejess Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options

I can only really do low intensity at the moment, also means my net cal intake doesn't get too low