Runners: How often do you replace your shoes?

artvandalay
artvandalay Posts: 71
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I bought new running shoes from the running specialty store recently. The guy who fitted me for the shoes told me they should be replaced in 6 months. I just dropped $100 on nice shoes and do not see myself dropping another $100 in 6 months. I was hoping this pair would last me a year.

I am a new runner, right now running about 2.5 miles 3x per week. I only use these shoes for running.

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    I just got fitted for a new pair of NIKE Equilon 4 running shoes and the guy told me 6 months to a year
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    http://www.therunnersguide.com/howlongrunningshoeslast/

They say it's more based on the miles you run. Hope this helps!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    400-500 miles. I log about 10 miles a week so i will replace in10 months. I also dont use my running shoes for anything other than running.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    This information is from Runner's World Magazines website...

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-240-490--12954-0,00.html
    :quote:
    When is it time to retire my running shoes?—Ken Becker, Phoenix
    Between 300 and 500 miles. Why the range? Because how quickly a shoe wears depends on you. If you land hard on your heels with each stride, for example, you're going to wear through shoes more quickly than more efficient runners. Go by feel. If after a normal run your legs feel as if the shoes aren't providing you adequate protection, they probably aren't. Give your legs a week to make sure it's really the shoes and you're not just tired. If the shoes still feel dead, replace them. We can tell you that the vast majority of runners replace their shoes too late. When you can see white midsole material poking through the outsole or when the sole under the heel looks crushed, the shoes are long past their prime.
    :quote:

I generally aim for 300-400 miles because of how I hit the ground. Then I retire my running shoes to everyday shoes and buy a new pair for running. It is recommended that you DON"T wear the shoes you are running in as an everyday shoe to help them last longer and get the most wear out of them on the specific purpose you have purchased them for (and that is a hefty investment you are 'just wearing around.")
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    It depends on how much running you will do and what surface you run on. Also if they are support, control, etc. Your weight also is a factor. You should start to look at your shoes at 300 miles, see how your body feels, talk to the sales staff at a GOOD running store, they will help. When you got your shoes did the sales staff watch you run on a treadmill or outside? Purchasing running shoes is a lot more involved then it sounds like it should be. A good pair of shoes (replaced when they need to be) will be the difference between enjoyable injury free running and another exercise that can sideline and frustrate you.

Find a good shop and start to look at the 300 mile mark.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Shoes have a lifetime in miles/km. I've heard 800-1000km per pair of shoes. The more you run, the more often you will have to replace them. Yeah, it seems like a pain given the expense of shoes, but you don't want to injure yourself from running in unsupportive footwear.
  • philiphirons
    philiphirons Posts: 34 Member
    I try to replace mine around every 650 miles and have never had any problems with this.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    I usually replace mine every 6-8 months and try to use them only for running but when the cushion wears out you can really feel the diference when you try on new shoes how much better those feel compared to your old shoes.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    It depends on your mileage. I think it's about every 900 miles, or maybe km?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I bought new running shoes from the running specialty store recently. The guy who fitted me for the shoes told me they should be replaced in 6 months. I just dropped $100 on nice shoes and do not see myself dropping another $100 in 6 months. I was hoping this pair would last me a year.

I am a new runner, right now running about 2.5 miles 3x per week. I only use these shoes for running.

There are two factors here: one is your mileage. Shoes are generally good for about 300-500 miles, with heavier runners getting less wear.

The other is time. The midsole, which is what gives you your cushioning, does degrade over time even if you don't use the shoes. They will start to lose some of their shock-absorbing capabilities after 6 months.

Now that you know what shoes you need and in what size, periodically search the internet for good deals. Expos for larger races (half-marathons and marathons) will also usually have great discounts on running shoes and gear and they are usually open to the public.
  • artvandalay
    If this matters, I usually run on a treadmill. I over pronate a little, so I have shoes with moderate stability in them. I also have plantar fasciatis, so if the cushioning goes in my shoes, I really need to replace them.

So I guess I will start keeping track of my miles, then. I was just a little shocked when he said 6 months... I figured this would be for a serious long distance runner.
  • libstr
    libstr Posts: 36 Member
    I buy a new pair each year in the january sales. I do a fair bit of exersizing in them and did 2 triathlons in them last year and really felt I needed a new pair.
  • mbolton55
    mbolton55 Posts: 12 Member
    I just bought shoes too at a specialty store and was told about 500 miles :smile:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    If this matters, I usually run on a treadmill. I over pronate a little, so I have shoes with moderate stability in them. I also have plantar fasciatis, so if the cushioning goes in my shoes, I really need to replace them.

So I guess I will start keeping track of my miles, then. I was just a little shocked when he said 6 months... I figured this would be for a serious long distance runner.

You will get a little more wear out of them on a treadmill, yes, as there is a bit of cushioning vs. road running.

If you aren't sure whether you need new shoes, you can always wear your current pair into the store, try on a new pair of the same shoe and take a little jog around the store and see if they feel different. If they do, it's time!

A serious long-distance runner is replacing shoes every 3-4 months. ;)
  • artvandalay
    I buy a new pair each year in the january sales. I do a fair bit of exersizing in them and did 2 triathlons in them last year and really felt I needed a new pair.

So January is the best time to buy running shoes? I"ll have to keep this in mind. I liked buying my shoes from the specialty store, but I am a bargain shopper and it killed me to buy shoes retail!
  • artvandalay

If you aren't sure whether you need new shoes, you can always wear your current pair into the store, try on a new pair of the smae shoe and take a little jog around the store and see if they feel different. If they do, it's time!

Oh that's an excellent idea! Thanks!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    This is interesting. I track my workouts at dailymile.com (there's a total miles run at the bottom of the training page - which I thought was neat, but now realize it serves a purpose! :tongue: )

I had always heard a certain number of miles, but wasn't sure how many. Thanks for the info (even though I wasn't the OP! :wink: )
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Running shoe lifetime really depends on the quality and how heavy you are. When I was a lot heavier than I am now, I would blow through a pair of running shoes in three to four months (300 - 400 miles).

I'm actually running in Vibram Finger Fingers now and the lifespan of the VFFs is a lot longer than most running shoes because there's no cushion to break down.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    200 miles.

:-)
This discussion has been closed.