Anyone else limiting alcohol?

2»

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    I do love my 2 glasses of wine at night, but for awhile there I limited it to weekends only. It wasn't terribly difficult, and weight loss was easier. I would fix myself a nice, big glass of sparkling mineral water with lime and a splash of POM or OJ. Sure am glad you posted this topic, I'm inspired again to get back with the weekends-only plan.
    :drinker:
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    This has been an interesting conundrum for me. I drink champagne, but had cut back to twice a week and only one glass prior to beginning MFP. I had successfully lost weight drinking beer when I was running all the time, and much younger. Even then I noticed that the alcohol made my weight loss slow or stop, and sometimes I would even gain weight. The thing was I could always run 6 miles and get rid of the calories. Can't do that anymore.

The reason I say it is a conondrum is that I like alcohol. When I mentioned to a friend that one couldn't lose weight if one had alcohol they replied "Why bother." I think they meant that life was supposed to be fun, so why worry about being thin if I was bored. I didn't quite feel this way, but I do think that enjoying life is important, and so is having fun. I switched to champagne from beer about 10 years ago, in part because I didn't want to have a "beer belly." I really didn't notice that champagne was less caloric than beer, but it was a statement of my maturity. Didn't want to drink beer at my age, I needed a "mature" drink.

Anyway I have read many articles, from Jillian Michael's and others that you "absolutely, positively" can't lose weight and drink alcohol. I disagree, as I have been able to lose weight using MFP provided I log the champagne. I am however contemplating just stopping totally because I don't need the calories. I am also not sure if the alcohol is that much fun anymore. I am now trying to balance the "fun" value to the caloric one. As I lose weight I think the caloric one is going to win.

That's my $.02 worth.
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    I drink still! I've just changed from drinking Cider or Wine to Vodka Diet Coke at 50 cals a glass! I had 6 or7 on Friday night, was very drunk and all for the cheap price of 300-350 cals! :)
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Sounds good to me!!
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Doing a 30 day challenge.

I wouldn't say I was drinking every day, but I LOVE WINE and I LOVE VODKA and I LOVE CIDER and beer... and oh god, champagne when I get it.

Figured I'm going to do 30 days and then see where I am with drinking.

On day 16...
This discussion has been closed.