Keeping on Track on Extended "Vacation"

Options
Hello all,

I am a performer in an Arts Festival in Charleston, SC for the next two weeks. (I have already been here since May 15). As this is the first time I've been in Charleston, and I'm here for so long, I'm taking it as "me-time" and treating it as if it were a vacation when I'm not in rehearsals or performances. They're putting us up in Dorms, where I only have access to a refrigerator, weak toaster oven, and microwave. I have been going to the supermarket and farmer's markets and buying fresh fruits and vegetables (corn, bananas, strawberries, peppers, lettuce, carrots) and am eating them as much as possible. Also, because I don't want to run out of money (they pay us but not too well) I have been trying to eat home at least 2x a day. I also have been at the gym nearly everyday hitting the treadmill hard to try to burn off any calories I might incur while eating Lowcountry food.

So my question to you all is: If you have been on long vacations where you almost *have* to eat out, if not for lack of food but to experience your location, what tips might you have for others trying to do the same? How can you accurately track your nutrition info when you go out to eat?

Thank you so much!

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I went to Mexico for two week in Nov. It was a all inclusive trip. I just tried to eat salad fruits & veggies. Then I took a very small plate for my lunch and dinner. I had no idea what the calories in the foods I was eating....but I tried to eat the baked fish and stir fry, and stay clear from all the fatty meats & fried foods. I did gain 2 pounds. I thought it really wasn't to bad. I had to eat every meal out, & laid on the beach & at the pool and had a few drinks a day for two weeks.

Good luck....sounds like you have the right idea : )
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Since you obviously have access to internet, I'd just google online the nutritional information for the restaurants that are around or that you think you might be eating at. You can find nutritional info on pretty much any restaurants menu these days.

And just a side note, I hope you enjoy chucktown :) That's home for me.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have a small food journel & caloire counting book (its small, The calorie King) that i bring w me, i write dn everything that i eat & then break it down if i cant find a nutrition guide from that resturant. it takes up time, but to me its worth it. or if you know what u want to get at the resturant, do it before u go. I try not to ignore my cravings, bc i know if i do, i will bing, so i eat a piece of whatever i am craving & it usually tides me over. Good luck