OT-Pregnant and counting calories?

Options
I just read this article......I'm not so sure I agree....but I know there are some yummy mommies out there so I'm sharing!

Pregnant? Eat up -- or your child could be obese
Posted: Sep 12th 2008 11:32AM by Martha Edwards
Filed under: Women's Health, Healthy Kids

Pregnant? Counting calories? Quit it, says a study out of the UK. Pregnant women who count calories and watch what they eat are upping the chances that their child will be obese, according to this article from the Daily Mail. Scientists working on the study have concluded that women who are expecting should avoid any food fads and refrain from going on any sort of diet.

Says Dr. Helen Budge: "Whether we become obese is often established before, and soon after, we are born and is influenced by both the eating habits of our mothers and by the nutrition we receive as babies in the months after birth. [When the mother practices poor nutrition,] We know the chemistry of these cells is upset. There is more inflammation and stress on the cells and the hormone balance is upset." She adds, "The message is about getting the balance right."

Losing baby weight is tough, but don't take your chances. When you're eating for two, eat healthy and eat lots. And give yourself permission to indulge once in a while, OK?

Replies

• Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I just read this article......I'm not so sure I agree....but I know there are some yummy mommies out there so I'm sharing!

Pregnant? Eat up -- or your child could be obese
    Posted: Sep 12th 2008 11:32AM by Martha Edwards
    Filed under: Women's Health, Healthy Kids

Pregnant? Counting calories? Quit it, says a study out of the UK. Pregnant women who count calories and watch what they eat are upping the chances that their child will be obese, according to this article from the Daily Mail. Scientists working on the study have concluded that women who are expecting should avoid any food fads and refrain from going on any sort of diet.

Says Dr. Helen Budge: "Whether we become obese is often established before, and soon after, we are born and is influenced by both the eating habits of our mothers and by the nutrition we receive as babies in the months after birth. [When the mother practices poor nutrition,] We know the chemistry of these cells is upset. There is more inflammation and stress on the cells and the hormone balance is upset." She adds, "The message is about getting the balance right."

Losing baby weight is tough, but don't take your chances. When you're eating for two, eat healthy and eat lots. And give yourself permission to indulge once in a while, OK?
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I heard on a doctor show the other day that woman that are pregnant only need 300 extra calories a day...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Did I read that right? If you are pregnant, don't count calories ("diet") or your kid will be obese??

Although the opposite was true for me.... I ate like a wild hog during my pregnancy, gained an ungodly amount of weight, and I have a 3 y/o who had barely made it on the charts with her weight. She is "petite", the doctors all say.
  • Fab140
    Options
    Did I read that right? If you are pregnant, don't count calories ("diet") or your kid will be obese??

Although the opposite was true for me.... I ate like a wild hog during my pregnancy, gained an ungodly amount of weight, and I have a 3 y/o who had barely made it on the charts with her weight. She is "petite", the doctors all say.

That's what I'm saying.....this article, though it seems to mention "healthy eating for two" can definetly be taken out of context!!
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I heard on a doctor show the other day that woman that are pregnant only need 300 extra calories a day...
    That is what my DR told me when I was preggers...
    Eating for 2 is not necessarily true...
    I craved fruit and green beans when I was preggers
    oh and also mustard.....(i put it on EVERYTHING) including the green beans:noway: :sick: :bigsmile:
  • Fab140
    Options
    That is what my DR told me when I was preggers...
    Eating for 2 is not necessarily true...
    I craved fruit and green beans when I was preggers
    oh and also mustard.....(i put it on EVERYTHING) including the green beans:noway: :sick: :bigsmile:

lol......
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I once read that during pregnancy, all the extra calories you need in a day can be obtained through eating one apple a day in addition to your normal diet. (I have no idea how true or untrue that is.... just stating what I'd read.)
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I did the same.....ate like a pig, although I tried to stay healthy, gained 25 lbs., and my daughter is a bean pole. Dieting was the last thing on my mind when I was pregnant, however, I did do water aerobics up untilt he last two weeks to fit in a form of exercise that wouldn't get my heart rate up too much and was relaxing.

Again, I think this varies person to person and your personal doctor will tell you how much you should or should not be eating.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options

My OB told me that too. He told me to add 2 servings of fruit of day and that's it. I did add those two servings of fruit but also couldn't say no to 3 chocolate chip cookies a day either. :blushing: