i can't seem to meet my calorie goal! any advice?

Options
i eat every 4 hours sometimes a small snack in between, i pay attention to every bite and stop when Im full. im trying to fit more exercise into my life so far 1-2 times a week is working 1 hour long a combo of cardio and weight training. MFP tells me i should be eating 1200 a day somedays more when i excersise, but i rarely make it!!! im typically eat around 700 calories a day. im losing weight fine but everywhere everything says thats not healthy!!! i dont get why?

im not hungry or deprived, im losing weight just fine.

so can someone tell me if i should force myself to eat more? or if its ok?

Replies

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand posts like these. Get some nut. 2 ounces will be 350-400 calories depending on the nut you choose. There is no one who couldn't add 2 ounces of nuts to their diet, barring allergy, etc. 2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter are 200 calories as well.

In general, such a low calorie diet is unsustainable and you run the risk of malnutrition. Hard to get all the essentials nutrients in such a low calorie diet. That's why VLCD (very low calorie diets) are not recommended without close medical monitoring. SO add a few calories and continue to track your losses. Definitely make sure you are taking a quality multivitamin and you are getting your essential fatty acids
  • Terriberry
    Terriberry Posts: 100
    Options
    you need to eat at least the 1200 a day. If you exercise then you need to eat back those calories too. Your body will eventually go into starvation mode. !200 cals is ALREADY a deficit so you will lose weight reguardless of exercise. You might be losing now, but it will stop and you will start gaining because your body will start to store everything you eat as fat because your are not eating enough to sustain body functions much less exercise. Please try to eat the 1200 everyday. Good luck!
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating less than 1200-1500 calories per day is that you can't get enough nutrients in that small amount of calories. I wish I could see your diary. Do you skip meals? It's impossible for me to keep my calories that low. I don't even attempt it. I would get light headed especially when I exercise. But peanut butter and nuts are very nourishing and will add calories quickly so you might try that or maybe add in a protein shake or bar somewhere. Good luck
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious to see what you're eating. I'll admit that once in awhile I've dropped below the recommend 1200 calorie minimum, but not very often and only by 100 or so calories. My calorie goal is 1430 and I actually try to aim for 1500 calories. Sometimes I eat back my exercise calories, sometimes I don't. I would be starving if I was only around 700 calories a day.