Healthy Recipes a toddler would eat.

Options
2»

Replies

• guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    About "hiding" vegetables in sauces - I realise it works, but I have my doubts. Thing is, it's not teaching them to love vegetables. It's teaching them that meals that look as if they don't contain vegetables are okay for them to eat, and that's not a great message to lodge into their heads.

Yeah, I had my doubts about it too. I did it mainly because my daughter was having 'bathroom issues', having a hard time going, so I started out by wanting to up the fiber. As she got a bit older I let her watch me make the food and now it's what are you putting into the sauce and can it be this or that. And, now she is vegetarian and will eat anything (except peas), and is always wanting to help me cook, and plan the menu.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't (and this is the important part here) don't give in and give her something else or she'll learn that she will eventually get what she wants instead of what you want her to have. Remember, she won't starve herself.
    Absolutely agree. People say "My child will only eat X" - the same people say the same about their cats "Oh Fluffy will only eat brand X" well believe me, hunger is a powerful force, kids and every other kind of domesticated animal ( :bigsmile: ) absolutely will eat if they are hungry.

A doctor once told me he'd never heard of a child being malnourished in a situation where food was available. I know it sounds easier to give in, but it's making a rod for your own back in the long term.
    I have a problem with this. What do you do with the fridge? Or the cupboard or the pantry door? I have a 2 and half yr old who is so strong he torn off 2 child lock from the fridge, and he already figured out how to open the childproofed cupboard doors.

No, I do not keep very bad food at home, but there are always cheese, yogurt and other dairy product in the fridge. On the kitchen counter top there are always fruit and the cupboard hides the crackers( wholewheat organic etc). While these are all good food, they do not substitute for vegetables and cooked meal. I know, I could watch him 24/7 to prevent him to do some self serve eating on his own, but realistically I cant'. I need to use the washroom, take a shower etc. Some days some noise from the kitchen wakes me up at 6 am. The noise is my toddler taking over the fridge again. Once I got to the kitchen and he is was eating a jar by the spoonful, and the jar was on the top shelf ! Actually the though about how he got the jar scared me more then the fact he was eating it.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't (and this is the important part here) don't give in and give her something else or she'll learn that she will eventually get what she wants instead of what you want her to have. Remember, she won't starve herself.
    Absolutely agree. People say "My child will only eat X" - the same people say the same about their cats "Oh Fluffy will only eat brand X" well believe me, hunger is a powerful force, kids and every other kind of domesticated animal ( :bigsmile: ) absolutely will eat if they are hungry.

A doctor once told me he'd never heard of a child being malnourished in a situation where food was available. I know it sounds easier to give in, but it's making a rod for your own back in the long term.
    I have a problem with this. What do you do with the fridge? Or the cupboard or the pantry door? I have a 2 and half yr old who is so strong he torn off 2 child lock from the fridge, and he already figured out how to open the childproofed cupboard doors.

No, I do not keep very bad food at home, but there are always cheese, yogurt and other dairy product in the fridge. On the kitchen counter top there are always fruit and the cupboard hides the crackers( wholewheat organic etc). While these are all good food, they do not substitute for vegetables and cooked meal. I know, I could watch him 24/7 to prevent him to do some self serve eating on his own, but realistically I cant'. I need to use the washroom, take a shower etc. Some days some noise from the kitchen wakes me up at 6 am. The noise is my toddler taking over the fridge again. Once I got to the kitchen and he is was eating a jar by the spoonful, and the jar was on the top shelf ! Actually the though about how he got the jar scared me more then the fact he was eating it.

Omgosh, I feel your pain! (I have a 2yo who gets into EVERYTHING!) I have to jump out of bed in the morning if he gets up because if I dont, he'll be into something and it wont be good. I never seen a kid that can get into trouble so fast!! So yours makes his own meals??? LOL That's fantastic!! I wouldn't stress about him finding his own food. Like you said, you stock good food choices. Celebrate his independence!! Whenever you can, provide fresh fruits and veggies. I think thats the best that anyone can do at the 2yo stage. And good luck, Momma!! :D
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    This is a great thread. Thanks so much for sharing those websites. I struggle with this issue too and I've tried hiding veggies in some recipes with some success. But I agree with the moms who are reluctant to deceive like this. I think it's a good way to get some veggies into the diet and to get them used to the flavor. I too want to teach my little one to like veggies and always offer a separate veggie dish. Sometimes though she's more likely to eat veggies as an "appetizer" such as sweet pepper strips, celery sticks, julienned carrot strips, cucumber slices, etc while I cook dinner. She'll also eat veggies in soup, especially if I put some goldfish crackers on top - she's all over that!
  • usmcpatience
    usmcpatience Posts: 168
    Options
    BUMP! I've got to get those books! I got lucky in the sense that my two year old loves cucumbers, broccoli, etc. Heck, she'll CHOOSE broccoli over french fries at a restaurant! Don't get me wrong...she still likes her junk food (what kid doesn't), but she's fairly easy to please. I too puree veggies into pasta sauces. I also serve a vegetable or fruit with EVERY meal. I can't force her to eat it, but I can't NOT offer them to her!

My daughter loves rice, so I try to put veggies in with rice as often as possible too. Of course, using ground turkey instead of beef in our tacos works too, for instance. She's none the wiser! There is also a Sesame Street cookbook...sometimes we make snacks from that. if she see's it's Elmo's favorite, then she's all about trying it!

Toddlers are interesting creatures, huh? Good luck, kiddo! There's some great suggestions on here!