Increased weight due to muscle building?

Options
hi, sorry this may sound like a really stupid question but Id like to know how soon after starting to exercise will the body begin to gain weight from building the muscles?

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    hi, sorry this may sound like a really stupid question but Id like to know how soon after starting to exercise will the body begin to gain weight from building the muscles?

Depends on the type of exercise, and the intensity, and the rest, and your diet. many factors come to play.
    It's like saying "how long does it take for my body to start to burn fat when i start to exercise?" you know...
  • registers
    Options

Depends on the type of exercise, and the intensity, and the rest, and your diet. many factors come to play.
    It's like saying "how long does it take for my body to start to burn fat when i start to exercise?" you know...
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's normal to see some weight gain / weight stabilization fairly soon after starting exercising due to extra water being stored in the muscles, but muscle mass takes a long time to build up - maybe a lb a month. Weight fluctuations when changing your exercise routine are normal though and nothing to be concerned about.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    All I can say is muscle weighs more than fat is an urban myth. 5 lbs of muscle weighs the same as 5 lbs of fat. That being said keep in mind that if you have a high BF% you will start losing fast then slow down. If you are doing more weights than cardio the exchange is slower, but good. I lost a bunch then started weights and I was stuck at 179 lbs for almost a month. At the same time the scale was stuck on pause I was losing inches. You should measure yourself. I kicked cardio into high geer and just lost 5 lbs in 1 1/2week. This is my experience. Hope the info helps.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I started doing weights - after the first session, my weight jumped up by 2kg overnight (about 4.5 lbs). I put this down to pulling water on board for muscle recovery and boy was I sore.
  • registers
    Options
    All I can say is muscle weighs more than fat is an urban myth. 5 lbs of muscle weighs the same as 5 lbs of fat

haha that would be true. "what weighs more a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?" same thing. You're absolutely right. The "volume" of fat is more than the volume of muscle.