Exercise-Induced Asthma/Runners Asthma

Options
Marcieb21
Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me more information on Exercise-induced Asthma, also known as Runners asthma. I think that I may have this, I have several of the symptoms, such as the coughing and the wheezing whenever I go running, or any time I do any exercise that is high impact. Before I go to the doctor or anything I would like to know more about it.

Replies

• sallycheese
    sallycheese Posts: 33
    Options
    i can't give you any information but i do suffer, not as bad when i remember to use my preventer regularly and actually worse in winter when cold rather than in high hayfever season
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have exercise and allergy induced asthma, I take several medications (2 allergy pills, 1- twice daily asthma inhaler, and my rescue inhaler immediately before exercise and as needed).

exercise believe it or not is one of the best medicines for it, as it exercises the lungs....sometimes its worse than others, but its still very managable and I dont feel it gets the best of me,,,,i refuse for it to get the best of me. good luck
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I have it. I find my ashthma is more controlled (don't need to use my rescue inhaler nearly as much) when I start at rock bottom and build up slowly into running. I finished the Couch to 5K plan this spring, and I haven't had to use my inhaler once! When I tried to run more sooner last spring, I was using my inhaler all the time.

I also find it helps to start out super slow each run, with the first five minutes off at a pace almost two minutes per mile slower than the rest of the run. I usually run 3-4 miles at a time, 4 or 5 days a week.

Good luck!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If you have symptoms, go to the doctor. Asthma can very unexpectedly become dangerous. I had EIA which developed into moderate, persistent asthma.

At the very least you will likely be prescribed an albuterol inhaler for use before exercise and as-needed during. You may also be prescribed something like a long-acting steroid and/or bronchodilator.
  • HannahPastoor
    HannahPastoor Posts: 303
    Options
    I have all kinds of asthma....Allergy asthma the worst though. I hate spring. I have had to use my inhaler at least once a day for the past two weeks. I had one of those purple circle things that starts with a A and helps prevent it, but my mom needed it more so I gave it to her (we both use it) so she could take it to Ethiopia. Now its gone....I want to start running as soon as my allergies go away in about a month. But flowers, cancer sticks, strong smells and rain all set it off.

You should go to the doctor! They can help : )
  • Stelynru
    Stelynru Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have it also, but don't take anything for it. I have an inhaler in case I really need it, but I found that if I exercise on a regular basis I can condition my lungs so that it isn't as big of a problem.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've been doing cycling training the past few months in readiness for a 60 mile bike ride in July. I noticed that if there was a particularly steep hill where you had to breathe deep and hard to get oxygen to the muscles, at the top I couldn't catch my breath, my airways seemed to narrow and fill with phlegm - it was pretty scary. Then after the ride - up to an hour or so later I would be coughing. At first I put it down to being a little unfit - but 4 months in and after doing more regular longer cycles (30-40 miles) I realised it might be more than that. I did have exercise-induced asthma as a teenager when I used to play football regularly, however probably since then I haven't done that much intense exercise so I assumed it had gone away. I have been to the GP this morning and had a reliever inhaler prescribed to see if that helps, she said to take it just before exercise. I'm going to give it a go and hope it makes a difference as it does put me off the hills if I do get to the top and then can't breathe.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I grew up having exercise induced asthma. But I still played sports & ran track.
    If you think you have it, go to a doctor, get an inhaler. That beats a trip to the ER because you can't breathe & it feels like an python is crushing your chest.
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't play with this. Go to Dr and get tested.