Ladies: Workout, Cravings, & Weight Gain on your PERIOD?

WeightWatchen
WeightWatchen Posts: 46
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I have terribly heavy, uncomfortable periods. I gain weight, feel bloated, and have horrible cravings. No amount of drugs help, and I can't even think about working out during this time of the month.

Anyone have the same problem as me? Or am I a baby, and should just suck it up?

Replies

• MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    I feel the same.. I hate it..
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    I have really really heavy menstrual cycles, with lots of cramping and bloating and moodiness. I usually gain 3-5 pounds during TOM and then lose it when it's done. I have found that walking really helps alleviate almost all of the symptoms, as well as drinking more water. I couldn"t have imagined 4 months ago that I would be willing to do anything physical during my TOM, but I just sucked it up and found that it actually made things better to get some form of exercise in. I don't lift weights, or run or anything but walk about 2-3 miles every day.
    Hope it helps you too!
  • mum2littledove
    mum2littledove Posts: 53 Member
    I am same and practically have to sit on plastic bags and never be far away from a toilet. I don't dare weigh myself just before or during, but look forward to the "release" when it's over. Shame they can't be once a year instead of once a month, but I guess that would make it difficult to have children!
  • rsmacfarlane
    rsmacfarlane Posts: 10 Member
    I was like this too! However, my lovely doctor told me to put my big girl panties on and at least walk....Turns out that even though he is a mere boy, the more active I am during TOM....the better I feel. I also really up my water intake too, since that seems to 'flush' out my bloating.

And if all else fails....I love Jello's fat free chocolate pudding:wink:
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Nope been feelin' great durin' my periods - funny thing is my periods are lighter now & I don't get any pre-cravin's anymore. I really don't think to much about my period when it does come :wink:
  • ElizabethRN59
    ElizabethRN59 Posts: 168 Member
    same here! i try to keep drinking as much water as possible and walking seems to help with the cramps... i usually keep my "cheat days" for one or two on the really really bad days that week too so i have a few (only a few) of the cravings.... Good luck!
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    I'm the same way. The horrid cramps I get make it nearly impossible to work out. Usually it's the worst the first few days. During those days, I still eat to my calorie goal and try to get out for a walk. Also I try to drink as much water as I can.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Just do a few exercises, it will alleviate pain. Think about it, your body is still releasing endorphines when you exercise, even with your period. It really does help you feel better, especially during your work out. Give it a try!
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    I really only have the crazy pain for the first 2 heaviest days and no pain meds work so I wonder why I even bother. I take the first 2 days of my cycle off and don't workout. Its better when i have tried to workout in the past because of the so called "claims" of elevating pain it has never helped. The day I blacked out during a workout on TOM and awoke on the floor next to the fireplace realizing I could have hit my head and died....um its not worth it. I can sit 2 days out in pain then I can get back to regular exercise. And yes a simple activity causes excruciating pain where I have to stop and take a breather. Know your body and do what you are comfortable doing.
  • Ellebeegirl
    Ellebeegirl Posts: 34 Member
    I'm the same way. I have to stop myself from sprinkling salt directly from the shaker to my tongue. I crave salt. I've found that if I prepare, go straight to the gym and straight home, I do ok, but I take rest days on my 2 heaviest days-I'm afraid I would cry if I tried to work out on those days.

To make matters worse, or maybe better(??) I recently went off birth control to help with some hormone imbalances that seem to be the culprit in some rapid weight gain. So the little help I got from the birth control to regulate my period is gone. If I have better ability to lose weight though, it should be worth it.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    I hear you- horrible pain and heavy flow for at least 2 out of the 4 days. I have to take *more* than the recommended dose of Aleve during that first 50-60 hours or I can't get out of bed. I have to say that when I gave up eating soy products that did alleviate some of the discomfort. So if anyone is eating soy more than once a week and having horrible pain, you may want to stop and see if that helps. Also, drink water and easy to moderate walking......
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 241 Member
    Exact thing here! I figure a few days out of the month isnt going to kill me if I take it easy and indulge a little.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Me too I gain almost 10 pounds of bloat, but always drop it the last day plus some extra. I try to do some sort of work out, and stay as much to my normal routine, I have found the more weight I lose and the more water I drink the better it is, and less pain I am in. I make sure that I have lots of fruit in the house for my cravings along with some organic 70% or more dark choc. I mostly crave lots of red meat and that I have to give into.
  • Cath138
    Cath138 Posts: 60 Member
    I am sooo lazy during my period! I don't want to workout and the only thing I do is sleep and eat!!! It is just 5 days a month, so I guess I will just kick my butt next week!
  • ampjorgensen
    ampjorgensen Posts: 86 Member
    I don't cramp too bad anymore, but i understand heavy bleeding and cravings.. I am having TOM vist actually right now.. He is very unwelcome since I can no longer have children (tubal because i have bad complications) so I don't really see his need to keep coming around. BUT I have found ways to combat. Sugar free jello choco pudding with whip topping ( please people don't judge! hahha i know its all artificial crap but if it helps ya through the day can't change everything all at one haha) anyways I also walk. I found the more I stretch my muscles walking the less they cramp. Drink lots of water and hot baths with a hot pad help some too. I have found my cramping and heaviness of my flow has gone down alot since I started working out. Anyways I also take black to help with my moodiness. kohash. cheep at walmart and it does the trick and its natural. I can't say much I've been eating bad for me food since TOM started 2 days ago and i literally have him visit like 6-8 days so not great fun haha
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Hi,
    Ok... so TMI, but I used to have BAD TOMs.... fever, severe cramps, etc. I used to exercise through it, which I still recommend. I'd also recommend looking into a Diva Cup and/or cloth menstrual pads. There are some chemicals in tampons and disposable pads that seem to make women cramp more severely and bleed more than they need to. I use the DC and/or cloth pads and my TOM is waayyyy easier to deal with now. I cramp much less and seem to bleed less. I went from overdosing on pain meds to not having to take them at all. No more fevers, either.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    My TOM is coming up; it will be the second one since I started my weight loss regimen.

Normally my period is super heavy, and is accompanied by serious discomfort in my lower back region... and also bloating! No cravings, though (my appetite/ sense of hunger just goes numb). All of that was when I never exercised and ate fast food five days a week. After this upcoming TOM, hopefully I'll have a better understanding of how this exercise/ diet regimen is affecting my cycle.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Hi,
    Ok... so TMI, but I used to have BAD TOMs.... fever, severe cramps, etc. I used to exercise through it, which I still recommend. I'd also recommend looking into a Diva Cup and/or cloth menstrual pads. There are some chemicals in tampons and disposable pads that seem to make women cramp more severely and bleed more than they need to. I use the DC and/or cloth pads and my TOM is waayyyy easier to deal with now. I cramp much less and seem to bleed less. I went from overdosing on pain meds to not having to take them at all. No more fevers, either.
    I am skeptical about the absorption capacity of cloth pads... Seriously, 1 Always Infinity overnight pad (the most absorbent I've seen so far) lasts only 1 to 1.5 hour during day 2. :sad: I have to wake up in the middle of the night to change, too. Admittedly I know nothing about the construction of cloth pads, but I don't think they'll be able to hold back my waterfall of a period!

If I can make the switch safely, though, I am all for reusable pads. Disposable pads are $$$.
  • jannapurna
    jannapurna Posts: 49 Member
    I'm on my period now and I've been sooooo lazy all week - making lots of excuses not to work out and more time spend lazing around the house (like what I'm doing at this exact moment instead of going to yoga:blushing:). I've had food cravings but surprisingly have not given in to them (yay me!). The biggest bummer was gaining back the 2 pounds I had lost last week. Boo!
    I'd like to add a question to this topic: My period was a week late this cycle when normally you could set your watch to it (bad analogy?), and I assume this was because of my recent weight loss. Has anyone else been late because of exercising?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Hi,
    I am skeptical about the absorption capacity of cloth pads... Seriously, 1 Always Infinity overnight pad (the most absorbent I've seen so far) lasts only 1 to 1.5 hour during day 2. :sad: I have to wake up in the middle of the night to change, too. Admittedly I know nothing about the construction of cloth pads, but I don't think they'll be able to hold back my waterfall of a period!

If I can make the switch safely, though, I am all for reusable pads. Disposable pads are $$$.

I've never had a problem with absorbency using cloth pads. Luna Pads, Glad Rags, are Skoon are three well known brands. You might want to purchase a few of various types to see what you like and don't like. They also make super absorbent post-partum pads, which you might want to look at, too.
This discussion has been closed.