FOR ANYONE THAT WORKS FROM HOME.....

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on how you keep moving or increase exercise when you spend 4-6 hours a day on the computer / phone.....

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I work from home but thankfully my day is quite flexible. You could do things like DVD or a run during lunch break, I do something every time I got to the toilet lol, like 10 jumping jacks or some squats etc.

I work out when I can, luckily this is most mornings, when my kid starts school in september I'll be able to work more too so I'll probably have to do more at home/run.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have 8-12h shifts when I sit mostly on the phone/computer. I just try to move a lot when Im not. When I work all day I try to have at least a walk.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would love to know also. (as I work at home on the couch)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I go to college online and do a home business. I get up and take breaks. I go to Curves and do a 30 minute workout. I also try to another workout or walk at home too. Sometime I just lay on my bed and do leg lifts or any exercise I could do on the flat on the floor for 10-15 minutes. I really helps the back and legs when you have been sitting and gives you some exercise.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I try to do a dvd, or a quick walk with the dog, as part of my lunch "break", and periodically try to throw in a few quick stretches/crunches just to get off my rear. At the end of the workday, I try to do another workout.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    You can get some short videos, Leslie Sansone(Walk away the pounds) has some 30 minute workouts. 30 day shred is a 30 minute video. 4 - 6 hours isn't to bad. You can get up and exercise or exercise after you are done.

Good Luck!!
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work from home now, but for 16 years before that I was in a computer shop in front of the computer for 8-10 hours a day then at night when I got home, i had to cook for the kids and hubby and clean etc, my weekends were made up of working saturday till 1pm then home to do the washing, housework etc and sundays was shopping and getting the kids stuff ready for the week again. You have to set time aside for your exercise, no excuses, as simple as that!! You say put 1/2 an hour in your calendar at say 4.30pm or 8.30am or when ever it's convenient for you and that's your time, it only takes 1/2 an hour a day. You can make it happen!!!!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Check out ergonomics exercise programs that you can download from the web. These will interrupt your work at intervals that you can set and will put you through an exercise routine meant to prevent ergonomic problems from developing, Just google and pick out the one what works for you. They are excellent when you dive down deep into your work, and hours pass and you have not moved at all. They won't burn calories, but they will prevent you from developing serious mucular-skeletal problems that come with intense computer work.

Like this: http://www.medicalbillingandcoding.org/sitting-kills/
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for suggestions on how you keep moving or increase exercise when you spend 4-6 hours a day on the computer / phone.....
    Quite simply, I don't. On days when I'm working from home I concentrate on my work, and exercise afterwards.

If you're only spending 4-6 hours a day working, and eight hours sleeping, that still leaves about eleven waking hours a day to fit everything else in, including exercise. You don't have to be moving all the time. :smile:
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81
    Options
    10 jumping jacks or some squats etc.

I'm totally flexible timewise too... but never thought of the JJ's or Squasts on potty breaks! GREAT IDEA!!
  • biznurse
    Options
    Check out ergonomics exercise programs that you can download from the web. These will interrupt your work at intervals that you can set and will put you through an exercise routine meant to prevent ergonomic programs from developing, Just google and pick out the one what works for you. They are excellent when you dive down deep into your work, and hours pass and you have not moved at all. They won't burn calories, but they will prevent you from developing serious mucular-skeletal problems that come with intense computer work.

Like this: http://www.medicalbillingandcoding.org/sitting-kills/

ANOTHER EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!! I do alternating muscle tightens, but could add more of that too. TONED muscles are GOOD!!
  • biznurse
    Options
    I work from home now, but for 16 years before that I was in a computer shop in front of the computer for 8-10 hours a day then at night when I got home, i had to cook for the kids and hubby and clean etc, my weekends were made up of working saturday till 1pm then home to do the washing, housework etc and sundays was shopping and getting the kids stuff ready for the week again. You have to set time aside for your exercise, no excuses, as simple as that!! You say put 1/2 an hour in your calendar at say 4.30pm or 8.30am or when ever it's convenient for you and that's your time, it only takes 1/2 an hour a day. You can make it happen!!!!

YEP, I get up and walk every morning.... but sitting is the WORST thing we can do..... Excellent ideas here have ROCKED and I will implement!! ;-)
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I work from home too, own two businesses and am president of the board of a nonprofit corporation. I'm in front of the computer 10+ hours most days.

THE BEST investment I've made is a Nintendo Wii, Wii FitPlus including the board, and DVDs for the system including Just Dance 2!, Zumba, and Michael Jackson Dance Experience. Between the DVDs and the "games/exercises" on Wii FitPlus, I have lots of variety.

I can just get up from my chair, switch my TV over to the Wii, and do as much or as little as I want. I am not a "go to the gym" person, and have found I'm not a "jumping jacks or squats" person either. I HATE exercise in its pure form...so this has been a godsend!

Oh...I need to add that I also got a heart rate monitor...one that doesn't need a chest strap. I use it whenever I do any exercising on the Wii so that I can get an accurate calorie count. I have an exercise set up in MFP that is 100 calories per 1 minute. So if I burn, say, 140 calories in a session, then I enter 14 minutes under my "boilerplate" exercise in MFP to account for the calories.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I can just get up from my chair, switch my TV over to the Wii, and do as much or as little as I want.
    Sounds great! :smile:

Possibly not to be recommended for someone who isn't self employed...
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I work from home full time, but without set hours. I manage several people, so I need to be available during their shifts for questions and such, as well as taking care of my other responsibilities. Basically, I end up being on the computer from 8:30 AM to 11:00 PM to make that happen. :( For workouts, I have to make 'me' time when I am simply not available.

In the past I have used short, 10 minute sparkpeople videos off of youtube for quick workouts. If you can't get away for a larger block of time, it's hard to not be able to squeeze in 10 minutes. Loving the idea of squats and jumping jacks when I have to get up anyways!

Also read it helps to stay 'fidgeting', wiggling your foot, toe tapping and such. :)