Running in the rain

Options
I have a 5K race tomorrow and the forecast is calling for a 70% chance of rain. I have never ran in the rain before and I am wondering if there is anything special or different that I should do when running in the rain. Wear something different? Things to remember?

Thanks, MFPers.:heart:

Replies

• FitMomof3
    Options
    I have a 5K race tomorrow and the forecast is calling for a 70% chance of rain. I have never ran in the rain before and I am wondering if there is anything special or different that I should do when running in the rain. Wear something different? Things to remember?

Thanks, MFPers.:heart:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    personally I love running in the rain...just make sure your sneakers are worn down too much....slipping and sliding....it should be fine though....and baseball caps are great to keep the rain outta your face....a very light waterproof jacket is good too....but not necessary ...honestly I'd pick rain over sunny and bright and hot anyday!

hugs and best of luck!!!!
    Ali
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your race!!

I've run in the rain a few times and it was surprisingly nice. The only thing I would suggest is wearing contact lenses if you wear glasses. I hate it when mine get all spotted with rain!

Enjoy!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'll be running my 10K in the rain tomorrow also (60% chance here!). I have done PLENTY of races in the rain, and my last 2 tri's were in the rain also!! :noway:

Just make sure to wear dry wick clothing and socks, keep plenty of dry towels in your car for afterward and a pair of dry shoes or Crocs to wear post-race!

Good luck!

Jess
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Get used to having water in your shoes! My friend and I went for a 5 mile run in a downpour (when we were training pretty hard for our half marathon) and it turned out to be so much fun. We ended up running way faster than usual because we were hopping over puddles. It's really actually fun, so have a great time! Don't take it too seriously! Have a blast!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Water proof mascara?:tongue:

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RUN TOMORROW!! :bigsmile:
  • jamdblake4
    Options
    run between the rain drops then you don't get wet:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Oh no, now it's 90% chance & T-storms!!! I shouldn't have checked the weather... :grumble:
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Ali- I just got new shoes so they have good traction. Thanks for the hat suggestion-I wouldn't have thought of that.

Jess- I just checked the forecast and now we have a 80% chance of rain.:grumble: I see that you live in Il. I live in WI so it is probably the same storm that is going to rain on both of us!

Jamdblake-I wish I was able to run that fast!

Lauryn1981-I thought of waterproof mascara, but I don't even own any. I don't like how it clumps up.

Nopogal-I'm sure I will have fun. I'll try to get some puddle jumping in!

Thanks guys-I will let you know how I do.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody. Sorry to be late on the post , but I'm new to the list.
    Two big things for running in the rain - make sure your socks fit well, preferably dry-wick, so they don't chafe when they get soaked - and Body Glide - rub some on anywhere you might chafe. I wouldn't wear a jacket unless you think you may get cold.
    Hope your run went well!
    Tom
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    Thanks runnerdad. I actually ran my race today. It just drizzled and lightly sprinkled during the race so it wasn't horrible. I was the first woman to finish with a time of 24:55. I was quite happy with myself.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • jamdblake4
    Options
    Thanks runnerdad. I actually ran my race today. It just drizzled and lightly sprinkled during the race so it wasn't horrible. I was the first woman to finish with a time of 24:55. I was quite happy with myself.
    good job:flowerforyou:
    did you see that blur go by:noway: o it was just you winning first place:bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: good job
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!