Knee Bursitis

Options
I have bursitis in both my knees. It comes and goes as it pleases and can last from hours to days. Any one else have this problem? What to do about working out?

Replies

• bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have it in the shoulder. Years ago, went to the physical therapist with insurance paying part. He taught me some stretch exercises to deal with it. Part has gone away with losing weight. Now, when it starts to flair up, I do the stretches she gave me. They gave me a picture list of how it should look, so I can remember.

It might be worth having a professional teach you to stretch it right.

Good luck
  • irishlady7
    irishlady7 Posts: 3
    Options
    Are you getting treatment for your knees? Regards work -out you can do Pilates, as well as, armchair workouts until knee can take pressure again.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems too. Mine is severe chondromalicia behind the knee cap. That is a softening and degeneration of cartilage that happened from overuse. But also quads were tight and my back muscles were weak. So this pulled my knee cap out of line and caused bone rub on bone. After doing some serious running last year, that bone on bone rubbed the cartilage down so I have little protection. But I refused to gain my weight that I lost from the running. So I do knee exercises and tae bo (using mostly hips.) Yoga and pilates is good too. Boxing is a great calorie burner and gets your heart rate up. Stay away from jumping exercises that put pressure on your knees. I use the DVD "Strong Knees" from the web site www.bodyinsight.com to strengthen all the muscles that support the knee. It helps relieve pain if I have it too.

Also check with your sports med doctor or regular doctor about anti-inflammatory medicine. I started taking 6-10 days and then quit. Haven't had a bad flare up of inflammation to where I need to take medicine since February but I keep the pills handy and get a refill prescription if I want. Don't quit exercising! Quitting is the worse thing you can do. But do take it caution on the level of intensity your body is ready for. My greatest contribution to pain free is that I stretch a lot. Pilates and basic yoga are becoming my best friends. Good luck!
  • tobeygirl45
    tobeygirl45 Posts: 57
    Options
    BUMP