Gas shortage frenzy in North Carolina!!!

Options

Replies

• Katgod318
    Katgod318 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas, and I am sure we are part of the shortage. They have ceased the drilling in the Gulf due to the threat of Ike hitting home. Our gas here ranges from 3.32-3.49 a gallon. We haven't heard of shortages yet, but that usually comes AFTER the hurricane hits. I use to live in NC so I completely understand what you are talking with NOTHING left on the shelves. LOL. I lived there through Floyd and Fran when they hit the worst. Those were some of the worst hurricanes to hit NC other than Andrew. Any way. I am sorry to hear about the shortages, and even sorrier to hear about 4+ gas. WOW!! We haven't had gas at that in over 3 months. I hope things get better.

My husband is a Commissioned Security officer through the department of public safety, and they have already told him that he is going to be deployed to South Texas for the hurricane. They have already deployed every freaking available national guard, reserve and active, to South Texas and to Louisana. I don't even know what the point in evacuating people from those areas if they are going to just send more people down there. They act like our military, special forces, and "minute men" are wand yeilding gods that can stop the hurricane in its tracks :noway:

90256.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    SC here.... had to wait in line myself last night. I'll admit I ignored the letter posted about the 10 gallons, but only on dh's vehicle because he drives a GIANT silverado and we drive an hour to work and an hour home. It went from about 3.50 near my house to 4$ a gallon last night by 9pm. Haven't checked yet to see what it's up to :grumble:
  • Juliebean
    Options
    I just topped off my tank at $3.92/gallon.

I feel as though I might be playing into the craze and hysterics of this "shortage," but at the same time definitely don't want to be stuck paying $5 a gallon for the next week or so. :grumble: :noway:
  • RedCurls
    Options
    My hubby drives around a lot in his job and he just told me that he saw a station selling gas for 5.19 and he said a lot of the stations were out of gas, so panic has really hit hard here in knoxville!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm in Asheville, NC and what little gas is left has now reached $4.75 a gallon. (It was $3.67 yesterday.) A friend of mine said it was $4.99 in Murphy, NC, jumping $1.28 from yesterday's price.
    The wholesale price of gas has only gone up around 20 cents on the gallon. I highly recommend either not buying or buying very little if you can help it. The price gouging is ridiculous! :mad:

Im In cullowhee and we are 4.79 a gallon here.

Connie
  • fitmom2six
    Options
    I'm in central VA. I heard that they were worring about shorages, so filled up this afternoon since I was out anyway. It was 3.41 - which is actually lower than I've seen it here in a long time. The station wasn't overly busy. There was only one open pump (which I quickly snagged) but that's common for this station as gas is usually about .10 cheaper than anywhere else. I hate the frenzy the media causes!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Gas here has gone up here in VA .10cents a gallon since this morning. My DH just went out and filled one car, and I'll fill the other when I go out later. No lines but didn't expect that out here in the boonies.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm. Wonder why the other states are doing this? Isn't Texas, where everyone is needing to evacuate, going to have a higher demand?

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-83962
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    haven't heard that here in charleston sc. but, my car only has an 11 gal tank so maybe i can sneak in that last gallon if needed. i normally fill up at 1/4 anyway. i sure love my XB now getting 36 mpg.
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Fellow NC'ers :
    Gov. Mike Easley on Friday implemented the state's price-gouging law as gas prices jumped amid fears that Hurricane Ike would cripple U.S. refining capacity.

Good to hear.

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1216129.html

Remains to be seen what this will mean a few days from now, but the AG's office is claiming that no station should be selling for more than 3.85 or so.
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Today I paid 1.479 a litre which equates to 6.72 an imperial gallon. Last week my fill up was $62 - today $74 The guy at the pump also 'blamed' this on the weather ravaging the US
    When will it end??
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Today I paid 1.479 a litre which equates to 6.72 an imperial gallon. Last week my fill up was $62 - today $74 The guy at the pump also 'blamed' this on the weather ravaging the US
    When will it end??

Except the weather hasn't even hit yet!!!! :grumble:
    Just "preparing" for it to hit :angry:
    BY RAVAGING OUR POCKETBOOKS IN ADVANCE:explode:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Throwing a bridal shower tomorrow for my sister.
    Maid of honor's town --- Hendersonville, NC --- out of gas. Not sure if she can make it.
    My sister is reporting that 6 different gas stations in one area of Greensboro, NC are out of gas.
    :noway:

CRAP. No party guests means more cheesecake for meeeee. Nooooooo! :frown:
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Throwing a bridal shower tomorrow for my sister.
    Maid of honor's town --- Hendersonville, NC --- out of gas. Not sure if she can make it.
    My sister is reporting that 6 different gas stations in one area of Greensboro, NC are out of gas.
    :noway:

CRAP. No party guests means more cheesecake for meeeee. Nooooooo! :frown:

Quick head to the Super Walmart on Peter's Creek and get them to make you a Cherry Yum-Yum!!!

It's the only way to be sure!!!
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wait what part of Greensboro? I knew I should have gotten gas yesterday.
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Im in Ga also and its 6:15 right now and my hubby just went to the station and got gas adn waited 30 min also! He came home and was liek I should of took my pistol.. PEople are crazy... @ people tryed to pull in front of him and then throw their hands up and called him crazy names! lol
  • emibmas
    emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    The news just showed a gas station in Fayetteville at 5.46 a gallon for regular! :explode:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    They said on our news that Sylva, my town was on CNN. We had one station that had gas at 4.69 a gallon and the news team went to another station that was lower and then went back to that one afterwards and it had lowered its price.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    My husband convinced me to go fill up (or most of the way up).

Payday Friday is when I normally fill up, so I only had 23 miles left of gas, according to that sweet mileage counter gizmo in my Jeep.

I begrudgingly went to the gas station. Like hubby said, heaven forbid stations around here do run out and then I can't get to work on Monday...

1.5 miles from home to the gas station. Got there quickly. Waited in line for about 35-45 minutes. Took at least 15 minutes to pump 12 gallons of gas ($45).

I was OVERJOYED to see everyone in my tiny little town on the outskirts of WinstonSalem pulling together, being friendly and HELPFUL, smiling at one another as we all waited in line.

There were people helping direct traffic so people could spin their cars around (gas tank on the other side of the car compared to the tank they pulled up to). No one was griping, and we'd all just look at each other and smile. What else could you do?

I'm glad to have gas in my tank.... gas that cost "regular price".