Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Nuva ring

yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
I just got my prescription for NuvaRing and I want to know your experience. Did you gain weight? Did you have blothing? Give me the god, the bad and the ugly.

Thank you

Replies

• lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Gained weight, was bloated, and according to my husband I was a moody B*tch! Hope it works better for you!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    I didn't gain weight, but was more emotional. I've switched to ortho tricyclen-Lo and have been WAY less emotional. I know other people who have had no problems. Good luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Gained weight, got bloated and I was a B*tch too. As soon as I stopped it everything went back to normal.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    A friend of mine used it, but still got pregnant (twice) because it slipped. So between the wight gain, bloadtedness & bad moods listed on here as reason not to use the ring - this might be another one to think about before you use it.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    I gained weight however less moody ... I think. I know I gained weight and it was in a short amount of time 4-5 months maybe? I've since gone off and working on losing the weight. Depo caused me to gain weight and feel crazy ... er crazier. =)

Good luck - everyone is different.
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    I have been on it for over 6 years and didn't gain weight, feel bloated or have a mood change. It works great for me since I was horrible about remembering to take my pill daily! Hope it works for you!
  • deeray82
    deeray82 Posts: 18 Member
    So sorry to hear all of these bad things about Nuvaring! I've been on it for about 2 years and I LOVE it. Instead of normal PMS, I do get really moody for a couple of days 1.5 weeks before I'm supposed to take it out (weird, I know), but I haven't noticed any bloating or steady weight gain. I was also kind of crabby when I first started it, and also when I stopped and then started again a few months later, but I really think that's just your body getting used to the hormones. I am SO bad at taking pills regularly, so this is a great way for me to stay "regular" haha, and to make sure there are no babies!

Best of luck to you!
  • fallon144
    fallon144 Posts: 40
    I'm surprised by everyones negative experiences because I never had any problems on it. I enjoyed not having to take a pill every day. Good luck!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    I had no problems with it at all. No weight gain, no bloating and I was just as much of a ray of sunshine as always.

Slippage shouldn't be an issue - you don't even have to leave it in for sex as long as it isn't a marathon session...
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    I've been bloated for the 25 years I have been on BC of all types. Haven't noticed weight gain or change in mood. I love the convenience of it, although I admit, I'd rather not have to mess with anything :)

Nuvaring works for me
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    it's like any birth control, there are hormones and weight gain is possible. The copper IUD is best no hormones in that
  • KTalada
    KTalada Posts: 47
    My 23 year-old sister used it & ended up having 2 strokes. When tested, her estrogen levels were 3 times the normal limit. Please be careful using the NuvaRing.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    I ended up in the hospital with a blood clot! Don't recall mood swings or weight gain though!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Tubal ligation. No side effects, besides not ever getting pregnant again but that's ok with me.
  • Ellebeegirl
    Ellebeegirl Posts: 34 Member
    I just went off of it. Rapid abdominal weight gain, bloating and increased estrogen levels. If it wasn't for the weight gain that will not leave no matter what I do, I would stay on it though. I love it!
  • Mommyof3loves
    Mommyof3loves Posts: 276
    I know for me I don't handle the hormones well so I just went for the para-guard and I'm good. Everyone is different the only way to find out is to use it and see. Good luck!!