Sketchers Shape up shoes

Options
I was looking at buying some shape up shoes,,wondering if anyone else is using them and do you like them and are you seeing results???
And are they comfortable with that thick heel on them?
My main exercise is aerobics and walking....
Are they awkward to walk in?

Replies

• askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My ex and her dad both had them, my ex always said her legs and back bothered her when she wore them. Her dad would wear them to work and would get home complaining of knee and leg pain. Neither lost weight. Hope it helps!
  • sassi_ladi
    sassi_ladi Posts: 10
    Options
    I have some and I love them! I can feel the burn when I walk correctly on them but I am not in the best of shape, yet.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    My mom has two pairs and she likes them. As far as seeing any results, no, she hasn't seen any. I've heard that they're a waste of money and not to bother with them.
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I do not have a pair myself, but I was curious about them as well and did ask two co-workers who do wear them. We are on our feet all day long and my co-workers have said they do not have fatigued legs, sore knees or backs anymore. They did say that they have not seen any change in their body shape or weight loss like they are advertised to do, but because they find them so comfortable to wear, it is the only shoe they will purchase for work now. I went and tried on a pair after what I heard and my knees hurt instantly, so I guess it depends on the person perhaps? I do believe they are only to be used for walking, so I am not sure if you can use them for aerobics. I hope that helps you some. I know it isnt first hand experience, but thought I would pass it along. Good luck to you!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My mom has two pairs and she likes them. As far as seeing any results, no, she hasn't seen any. I've heard that they're a waste of money and not to bother with them.

not to mention, ugly... lol

I do not think these work, and they certainly do not take the place of any workout. Want a rounder butt? Do squats and lunges and LOTS OF THEM!!! take my word for it. :)
  • Jenn421
    Jenn421 Posts: 56
    Options
    i have a cheeper pair from payless i love them to death i have a pair for work and a pair for the gym. my legs dont hurt at all but i find my legs are getting skinner so i would recomond them
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    Yes they are ugly shoes,,,,,Thanks guys I think I may stick with my new balance and my lunges and squats....I have been doing aerobics for 3 months and have had no problems wearing New Balance ..I was curious about the Shape ups...I guess I just need to try a pair on and see how they feel.....
  • ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of pair. I don't know if they are helping shape my legs or not because I also do the elliptical all the time and I think that is helping more. They are comfortable after you get used to them. Balance at the beginning is a problem. I do feel it in my legs more when I walk in them than regular fitness shoes. I have a pair of tone ups as well and I can workout in them and they are not so ugly.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have a pair and I love them. However, I wear them to work out, where I am doing lots of squats/lunges and such, so I am seeing results, but I have no idea if the shoes are contributing. I have found they actually help with any knee pain I have when exercising, and they do make walking more difficult because you have to stabilize yourself. I also think they are pretty comfy.
  • sisterpam
    sisterpam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second pair. I think they are very comfortable. I didn't buy expensive ones -- mine came from K-Mart. They are not hard to walk in and don't take long to get used to, but you may need to use extra caution on uneven terrain. My husband bought a pair, though, and started having trouble with his knees. Not sure if it is related to the shoes or not, but he stopped wearing them. I have bad knees and they actually seem to help, rather than hurt them. Now, as far as it helping fitness wise, I really didn't notice a change.
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I was looking at buying some shape up shoes,,wondering if anyone else is using them and do you like them and are you seeing results???
    And are they comfortable with that thick heel on them?
    My main exercise is aerobics and walking....
    Are they awkward to walk in?

I just asked the guy at Playmakers about them yesterday. He happens to have majored in some kind of science something or other and wants to go into shoe design for a full-time job. He said that they force you to tighten your core when you walk and work on posture, but they have absolutely zero support, and most people end up walking on the sides of their feet instead of walking correctly in them. They aren't good for working out at all b/c of the lack of support. He had me get some Asics cross-trainers. They have great support for what I do, which is high-impact cardio (Turbo Fire) and HIIT workouts.

I hope that helps!
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't have sketchers Shape-Ups and don't know anyone that wears them, but I've been wearing Reebok Easytones since Christmas and I love them! I can feel them in my legs after doing a lot of walking. I wear them on a daily basis since theyre normal looking shoes and the come in decent colors. :) Only thing, the salesperson where I bought them said some people complained of knee pains and recommended a different insole. They are super comfy and I've had no pains at all!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I am going to say this : they are a gimic. Pure and simple. you will not get the round butt that they show in the ads just by wearing them. Also, being a group fitness instructor, I do not think these are good to wear while in classes or doing cardio. do things that work your glutes, do lunges and squats and hip thrusts, and so on, . I am speaking from experience here, after losing all my weight, my butt was flat, and since november I have made it nice and round, by doing tons of squats, lunges, ect. not wearing ugly shoes.
  • cpanzeri
    cpanzeri Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a pair, but not for fitness reasons. I got them because I have flat feet and they were killing me!!! Went to a special shoe store to address my problem. They suggested these shoes that were $300! Couldn't afford those, but Shape-ups were about the same concept and cheaper, so I bought them. They did take a while to get used too, but now they are like little massagers for my feet, very comfy!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I go barefoot or wear vibrams, even when I run- I can't stand shoes and the sketchers just make me shudder. Not being able to feel ground and not being able to walk naturally (like those bricks called Sketchers) gives me the creeps. If I can't get a full range of motion out of them ( twist, turn, jump, balance, stop on a dime, shift and go from a ground hugging creep to a full tilt run in them) then they are not allowed to touch my feet!

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/ (This describes most of my issues with shoes better than I can write here)
  • AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN
    AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    there are actually law suits that are being filed against some of the companies that sell these sort of shoes....they do not do anything different. I have a wonderful pair of Nike Shocks! They are great for Zumba,walking running, pretty much any exercise...I am very picky about my tennis shoes and dont wear tennis shoes often! I love my Nike Shocks!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of black and pink glittery ones; I bought them because they were extremely cute and nothing to do with what they "claim" to do!! I don't notice much change ,but I walk, run and cycle a lot anyway. I just thought they were cute and they do give me a little bounce in my step :) (they have a less obvious chunky sole/heel, that's why I like them)
  • vpwelsh
    vpwelsh Posts: 31
    Options
    Have never tried them but my Podiatrist said to stay away from them, they are a waste of $. Since I already battle foot and knee problems...I have saved my $ and stayed happy in my New Balance!
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of the Shape Ups, but I only use them to do housework. I tried fitness walking with them and found that they made the balls of my feet and my knees sore. However, they are nice for around the house because they feel so soft and cushiony. The downside is, you have to be very careful on steps because you can't feel the floor as well with your feet. I wear the pair I have, but I would never buy them again.
  • vonpod
    vonpod Posts: 5
    Options
    I have got a pair of these and I love them. They take a little getting used to at first but can wear them all day with no problem.