I did it! A half-marathon, that is!

kylielouttit
kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
edited September 27 in Success Stories
A couple months ago I posted on the Fitness board wondering if it was too late to start training for my half-marathon. My goal was to do it in under 2:30.

Well, today I ran it! I RAN it, and I FINISHED it! Next to having babies, it was the best experience ever! Here is my story:

4:30am - too excited/nervous to sleep so I cruise the interet via iPhone till it's time to shower and go
6:00am - got in line at the C-Train and headed to the start line, it's dang cold!
7:00am - the race started!

The first 5k was awsome, there were lots of spectators cheering us on. I ran past some girls holding up signs that read:

- Run like you stole something
- Keep Going. Keep going. Keep going. That's what she said!
- Chuck Norris never ran a half-marathon!

I definately LOL'd.

Then, I started to settle into the race and the next 5k dragged on and on. When I saw the sign saying 9k I just groaned "f_______!" I was already feeling pooped! Around the 10k mark we merged with the Marathon runners and I seemed to get my second wind. I loved seeing girls running together in teams, or people with inspirational quotes on their back. One girl's shirt said "I don't know you, but I am proud of you!" Just awsome!

The last 3k was really emotional for me. The idea that I was about to complete a Half-Marathon was starting to sink in and I almost gave into temptation and walked. I kept going, but that last km was killer. It lasted FOREVER! Finally I could see the finish line and all the people cheering for us. It was such an amazing feeling and it helped push me over the finish line at 2:20:06:54!!! Ten minutes ahead of my goal!

So, thats my story. I was the laziest person ever, so if I can do it, you can. My Dad has a double-lung transplant and really wanted to run a marathon afterwards. He sadly passed away in 2008 so today was so important for me. I totally plan on coming back next year for a full marathon!

Replies

• Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Thats awesome!! Congrats that a major accomplishment :)
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    I love all the quotes you shared with us!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    That is a great accomplishment! You should be very proud! Great job!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Congratulations! that's a wonderful personal victory and you should be very proud of what you've accomplished :-)
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Congrats on your absolutely amazing accomplishment!! You should feel very, very proud!! I will definitely be repeating some of those quotes to myself when I run my half in a few weeks. Cheers! :)
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Totally need a kleenex. What a great story of how you pushed through it. Congrats!
    6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Wow. You not only did it, you memorialized it for the rest of us. I felt like I was there with you. Did you make your goal time? :happy:
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Way to go! GREAT JOB!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Congratulations! You should be so incredibly proud of yourself. I'm training for my first half-marathon in October and am scared to death about it, so I thank you for the blow-by-blow account and giving some more insight as to what it was like. Congrats, again!
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    - Chuck Norris never ran a half-marathon!

I definately LOL'd

This one made me LOL too! Congrats on finishing your half and coming in so far under your goal time. You should be super-proud of yourself!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Rock on! :flowerforyou:
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Amazing work!! Now you can go for a full marathon?!?!? :)
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Congratulations!! Amazing accomplishment... and great job on the time too!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    You are amazing! Thank you for sharing your experience in a way that allowed us to emotionally connect with you! It was incredibly inspirational. I am looking forward to a 10 mile run in November...I guess a half marathon will be next!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    I forgot the best shirt of all! Mine!!! Its from RunGirlRun and says:

Run some.
    Walk some.
    Finish them all.

It gave me the courage to start and my hubby said some women were commenting on it afterward, they liked it too.

I will be returning to Calgary next year for the full and my hubby said he might even join me!
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    You inspire me! Good Job!
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Wow congrats i love ur accomplishment! I would like to do it someday
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Congratulations! That is an amazing accomplishment!
  • summerbreeze76
    summerbreeze76 Posts: 33 Member
    Good for you. This is a goal that i need to get back to.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    CONGRATUALATIONS! I can relate to how you felt - I did the Weekend to End Breast Cancer 60km walk a couple of years ago and finishing it was the most amazing accomplishment of my life. I'm doing it again this July (in Calgary too) and am trying to train but it's been slow going so I don't know if I'm going to be in much better shape than I was last time. That was the most difficult physical (and mental) challenge I can ever recall and completing it is the most proud I think I've ever been of myself. So I totally get how you're feeling and want to cheer YAY YOU - YOU DID IT!!!! (((big hug)))

PS: I LOVE the girl's t-shirt that you mentioned (I don't know you but I'm proud of you) and might steal that idea for my walk!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!