weight lifting

Options
So I have been doing a lot of cardio, but when i go to the gym i'm not really sure weight machine wise what to use. any suggestions for a beginner for upper and lower body?

Replies

• nfanning3
    nfanning3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    if your gym offers a bodypump class, it is a total body fitness class with weights and is amazing! but i like the press for legs, if doing a machine.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Check out Bodybuilding.com. They have tons of information. Also, the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women is good. I've heard Starting Strength is good as well, but I can't say one way or the other.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Find 1 or 2 exercises for each muscle group. Create a routine where you're hitting different muscles on different days, so that there are at least 2 days in between hitting the same muscles again. It's probably best to follow a well known routine than to create your own. Here are some examples of books/routines

New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    Body for Life

Consider using free weights instead of or in addition to the machines.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women - might be able to find it at the library

Oxygen magazine - a women's mag and each issue focuses on certain exercises and how to do them correctly, along with routines.

Bodybuilding.com - excellent web site on all things strength training

You might also hire a personal trainer, just for a couple of sessions to show you how to use the machines and weights and get you started on a routine.

Good luck!