I want to hear your sucess stories for those over 350lbs!

Options
I would like to hear from those who lost weight on there own (no surgery) i am not against gastric bypass as my mom had it! But it's not an option for me now as i have no insurance even if i wanted it. Is it possible for someone starting at over 400 lbs to lose weight on their own? So far i have lost 38 lbs since 3/31. Please share your success stories and pics if you can =)

Has anyone lost over 100lbs+ and if so how long did it take?

Replies

• Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    my starting weight was 330 pounds. I now weight 143, I did not have surgery, I did not join any weight loss program, I did it all on my own ( with the help of MFP) and it took just shy of 2 years. I have a blog that you can read, and I am an active member here too.

You Can do it without surgery, you just need to know that ITS GOING TO TAKE TIME. but THAT IS OK!!! cause the time is going to go by anyway, so you can take all the time you need!!!!

Here are my pics:

20062011compare-1-1.jpg

feel free to contact me :):flowerforyou:
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I head up a weight loss healthy lifestyle group at my job. I have 2 people who are over 350lbs. The first 3 weeks they have lost about 15lbs each. They both go to the same gym. They didn't change eating habits extremely, but they hit the cardio in a major way. I am so very proud of my group. I have almost 50 of us joined up for this round and we have lost about 150lbs so far. 80% diet 20% excersize = SUCCESS! Good luck on your natural journey. I believe you will do well.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    HI!! Well, I was 8lbs away from 350 (my starting weight was 342)...I posted my success story earlier this month (you can read it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233062--4-6-lbs-to-get-to-the-truth-pics or visit my blog below my ticker )...I did reach the 250 lb goal two weeks after this was posted...and I am 5 lbs away from the -100lb loss club! It IS possible...You CAN do it...it's not easy, but you CAN do it! Good luck and feel free to friend me for support!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    bump
  • myheartinsf1
    Options
    I started my journey back in 2006 while I was in beauty school. Oh man I had so much support from all the girls and instructors.I lost around 56 pounds.I started off with a strict diet that consisted of mostly veggies lean protein. I was supervised by a doctor to begin. I lost about 30 on that and then finished up with me*ifast. I kept that weight off and was on top of the world when I had unexpected brain surgery. I have kept the weight off gaining and loosing due to new lifestyle and medications. I am here now to finish what I started. I have a huge hurdle now I can't do the things I once did. I get horrible migraines and headaches and suffer with chronic pain.
    There is my story ;)
  • monkeydoodle
    monkeydoodle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My story is still a work in progress, but I'll share my success thus far. I'm definatly over 350lbs. My starting weight was around 650lbs:sad: :blushing: , but I've dropped around 110lbs(50 since joining MFP) since Feb 15th of this year:noway: . No surgery, no magic pills, & no clubs to join. You can do this, but as stated by others, it will take time. You should use the great tools provided here on MFP to track your food & exercise. With the right attitude and determination, you will come out on top.:drinker:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    My story is still a work in progress, but I'll share my success thus far. I'm definatly over 350lbs. My starting weight was around 650lbs:sad: :blushing: , but I've dropped around 110lbs(50 since joining MFP) since Feb 15th of this year:noway: . No surgery, no magic pills, & no clubs to join. You can do this, but as stated by others, it will take time. You should use the great tools provided here on MFP to track your food & exercise. With the right attitude and determination, you will come out on top.:drinker:

You = AWESOME! Way to go!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    my starting weight was 330 pounds. I now weight 143, I did not have surgery, I did not join any weight loss program, I did it all on my own ( with the help of MFP) and it took just shy of 2 years. I have a blog that you can read, and I am an active member here too.

You Can do it without surgery, you just need to know that ITS GOING TO TAKE TIME. but THAT IS OK!!! cause the time is going to go by anyway, so you can take all the time you need!!!!

Here are my pics:

20062011compare-1-1.jpg

This is awesome, too! So inspirational!!
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I started at 350 may 1, 2010. I am now at 191. I've been stuck here for about a month but I'm still working on it. Love my new body and although it's not where I want to finish, I am super happy with it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    480 to currently 353. took me about a year to lose the first 100. I'm at my ½ way point to my goal of 200-220. not 100% sure of where I ultimately wanna be. pics in profile.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Started at 350 exactly and still have a ways to go, 94 lbs. But doesn't that sound better than 165 lbs.

I actually hit the gym starting in January of 2010. It was a struggle. The first time I jumped on the StairMaster for just 5 minutes, then walked over to the trash can where I tried to act nonchalant while begging myself not to throw up.

Eventually I got to where I was kicking butt on the cardio equipment. Then I started walking/hiking. At first my shins hurt, then my calves, then my back. It took me 8 months to work through that. It seemed endless. I thought there was something wrong with me. Finally in May I was able to do a 10 mile hike that I failed at in May of 2010. Then I was able to work for extended periods in the garden with out the neighbors seeing a fat boy lying belly up in the yard.

I drive a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. A big roomy comfy vehicle. Except my belly use to touch the steering wheel. It is now 6 or 7 inches away. That is such an awesome feeling. I just cannot describe it.

In October I passed the CPA exam. Towards the end I started thinking if I put this much effort into losing weight I should be successful. Though I didn't start my journey immediately. In fact quite the opposite.

In celebration I ordered a large pizza and ate the whole thing. Then the next day I made homemade Apple Dumplings and ate 3 of them. They are huge. I was miserable for 2 days after. Just horribly miserable. I called a friend and said I'm out of control. He suggested a calorie counting site. I couldn't fine the one he suggested but I found MFP.

If MFP were a woman, I would have been married by now.

Thanks for all of your support!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I started at 350 may 1, 2010. I am now at 191. I've been stuck here for about a month but I'm still working on it. Love my new body and although it's not where I want to finish, I am super happy with it.

From 350 to 191 in one year. That's an amazing achievement, you are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Here are my pics:

20062011compare-1-1.jpg

You look amazing...well done!
  • DropsOJupiter
    DropsOJupiter Posts: 131
    Options
    Hi there. Yep it definitely can be done without surgery. Although I am not finished with my journey, I have lost 135 pounds in about 1 1/2 years. After Christmas, I dallied for about 4 months, eating healthy but not really pushing the exercise due to a back injury. Started back at it in April and going good. It helps to remember it isn't a speed race, it's a lifestyle change and journey that is unique to each person. You have to find what works for you and as Dory said in "Finding Nemo"..."just keep swimmin' " or walking or dancing. Most of all, love yourself enough to do this!
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone keep the stories coming you are all a huge inspiration and should be so proud of yourselves. I started at 401 lbs MY HIGHEST March 31st and decided i needed to do something about it. I broke down in tears and my doctors office and made the nurse weigh me twice because i was in disbelief. The nurse and my doctor had a conversation with me and THAT DAY i decided i was making a change and sticking to it! I have a 6 and 4 year old and i want to be around a long time for them. I've kept track of my calories ever since and have lost 38lbs as of yesterday my clothes are all loose, it's easier to bend, it's easier to drive, my ring is falling off my finger it feels so great i only plan on continuing and never looking back! I have been overweight all my life and now is the time to no longer make excuses and do something about it. My friends say i look great. My friend i saw yesterday even said "i walk with confidence" it is so great to hear people say things like that and people high fiving me because of how well i am doing. Now i beg my nurse at my doctors to weigh me so they can see the loss as well.

I am now 362.8 lbs lowest i have been since 2007 and i plan to do this all on my own so would love the support for those dealing with losing this much weight as well. =)
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to hear more stories and would love some before/after pics =)
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

From 350 to 191 in one year. That's an amazing achievement, you are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
    thanks!
  • patty9013
    patty9013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What wonderful inspiring stories!! Congrats to each of you.:drinker:
  • amberjay0
    amberjay0 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow im exactly 350 and im tired of going to the dr.s and not being able to weigh myself on the scale ughhh! and i thought losing 100lbs would be impossible now im so inspired and excted ...i just wanna run and eat some salad lolGreat Job guys!!!!