How do you motivate yourself to work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I look at my son crawling around the floor on the verge of walking and think I gotta get my butt in gear so I can keep up with him!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Two words: Wedding dress.

Or these two: Honeymoon bikini.

Haha. It may seem superficial, but it works!

couldn't agree more. NO FLABBY ARMS IN WEDDING GOWNS ALLOWED!!

...and no more back fat! I'm going for something low!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    On the days when I think my motivation might wane, I post my planned workout to MFP in the morning. It motivates me because I promised them that I would do x miles or do this workout. I cant let my friends down and since I know I am motivating others it makes me get up.

I also have my favorite phrase "The only run you will regret is the one that you dont take."
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    A good prodding of my big wobbly belly usually does the trick! :bigsmile:

Joking apart, I don't bother motivating myself at all, I simply have set times that I always go to the gym, and at those times I go. The way I see it, it's like having an appointment, it's like going to work. It's what I do on X day at X time.

In February I decided that making myself healthier and happier by working out would be part of my routine, I chose days and times that would be convenient, and my workouts went into my diary as recurring appointments. From that point it was part of my routine. It's not like I choose whether to go or not, or need motivating, I don't have a choice.

What motivates me to do additional exercise is lovely weather that lures me into gardening or going for long walks, or spending hours walking round car boot sales. :)
  • jambs5
    jambs5 Posts: 114
    Options
    Hi All,
    Whenever i log in my food and see the calories add up, I say "WOW I better do some more cardio exercise and burn those calories off." I have a few sisters who have been using MFP for 300+ days and have reached their goal weights. I say "if they can do it so can I". Please feel free to add my as a friend. the more support/encouragement the better. Good luck reaching your weight loss goals. Have a great day.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    My gym has an awesome hot tub, heated from the core of the earth and run by jet engines. I don't get to use it if I don't go.

Also, my sister and I have a guilt trip/motivation thing going on. She picks me up from work. She can't skip because she knows I need a ride home, and I can't skip, cause I don't want to just use her for a ride...
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Also, my sister and I have a guilt trip/motivation thing going on. She picks me up from work. She can't skip because she knows I need a ride home, and I can't skip, cause I don't want to just use her for a ride...
    What a great arrangement, that's exactly the sort of thing that works. :smile:
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    OK when it comes to the worst, I say to myself that I simply love that protein bar from the gym and that I have to have it and deserve it. So I go there for the bar, I exercise, and then I eat it.
    Haha.
    But now I signed up for a 10k and that is like CRAZY motivation, I feel like I want to run around just when I think about it!
    Also I want to be finally fit, for once (and ever!) in my life!
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a few girlfriends that I workout with...we meet at 6am to run...if I don't show up, they knock on my bedroom window! Or call at 6 am and wake me up....including my family! So I get up, so they won't have to hunt me down....waking up my family at the same time!

that is just so awesome! i wish I knew a group of friends that would be willing to go run with me! Awesome! Tell your friends they rock xD