Ladies with Long (straight) Hair

Options
kristiek7
kristiek7 Posts: 198
What type of brush do you use??? Or products?? Mine is becoming really tangled and it takes forever to brush it out........just wondering what everyone else is using.........Thanks!!!

Replies

• irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem !!! My hair is so fine and straight that it gets tangled (and I mean tangled!) so easily. I have not found anything that works, aside from when I had short hair.
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    I have long, fine, pin straight hair that tangles horribly. I'll tell you my secrets, and that I get lots of compliments on my hair.

I do not brush my hair. In the last year, it has been brushed twice, when I've gotten hair cuts. I shampoo and condition every few days. I try to wash my hair as little as possible. In the winter, this could be a week. In the summer, it's every 3 or 4 days. I use Infusium 23 hair products, and their conditioner seems to untangle my hair on its own. I also use their leave-in moisture treatment in the winter when my hair gets really bad. Summer means it's up most of the time.

Keep in mind, I like to wear my hair wavvy and with body, and so this method lends itself to the most natural waves possible.

For styling, I stick to a light weight mouse, and the Beach and Bumble surf spray. I blow dry, or let air dry in a bun for a few days, then take it out (Hey, curls!).
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I use a paddle brush...my hair gets so tangled in my sleep that it looks like i've spent hours backcombing it! A satin pillow case has helped as has Johnson's Baby Detangling Conditioner...really helps without weighing it down like many conditioner do
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i have long naturally straight hair
    ive ried all the products for making your hair sleek and shiny but i find my hair is nasty with all the silicone in those products
    i brush my hair just once a day, and only wash it 3 times a week - even with going to the gym, there are days when i leave it unwashed
    ive done the whole washing it every day and brushing the life out if it, but it just dries it out and ruins it

might not work for everyone, but it works for me
  • moose_15
    moose_15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My hair is pretty long - about half way down my back but I don't ever seem to have trouble with tangled hair, even when it's windy outside!

My brush is nothing special but I always condition my hair. I do have really thick hair though so that may be the reason.

Do you have fine hair and do you condition it every time it's washed?
  • whamfanuk
    whamfanuk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    a tangle teaser brush, they are fab
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think the key is not to wash/brush it too often. I wash my hair once a week if I can drag it out that long... Depending on how much I sweat. But at the most, it's twice a week. I only brush my hair after I've washed it, all other days I only use muy fingers. I've stopped buying high $$ salon shampoo and conditionner and the ones that I use are Herbal Essane (with the coconut oil) and Pantene Pro-V (I think it's the one for weak/fine hair). it's what works for me. I also, once a month, slap on some organic coconut oil on my dry hair and let it sit for 15-20 minutes before washing... It's an awesome treatment!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    BioSilk (or its generic equivalent in the black and white bottle).

You can thank me later. :wink:
  • kristiek7
    Options
    Yeah it's fine........lots of it, but really fine and it's only a few inches from my waist at this point (time for a cut!!), and do use lots of conditioner.......hmmmm lots of great ideas though, thanks!!!!! I think for sure I'm washing too often......it's only been the last couple months though, not sure why......
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have fine, long, straight hair and all I can do is keep brushing it, I brush it about 5 times a day, more if I'm in windy conditions. I wash it every second day cause if I don't it gets too flat on top, and I use a good shampoo and conditioner and then a spray on detangler so i can get the knots out after washing it. Never tried any other products, I can't see how they would keep your hair untangled when dry?? I use a good quality vent brush (that's what they called them in the 80's anyhow) so it doesn't rip my hair too much and that's all. I try to keep it up when it's windy and certainly tie it up when I ride or walk, that helps a lot.
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    try using Morrocan oil...pretty expensive but really great stuff.
  • nurse_carolyn
    nurse_carolyn Posts: 348
    Options
    I have curly hair that matts pretty bad underneath. Once I was watching TV and I made the mistake of watching an infomercial for more than 30 seconds and you can probably guess what happened after that..... Yup, I was ordering their product, lol
    It actually turned out pretty good because I love this stuff. It's called WEN and I've included the link below. It is one of those "no lather" products. The first time I used "no lather" products I didn't really like them because I felt it wasn't cleansing my hair. The trick is that you need to make sure that you briskly rub your scalp and it does clean your hair.
    I really do love this product and love what it does for my hair. It doesn't tangle anymore and my hair is really healthy. I've been using it for a couple of years now.
    If you do order, it comes in a pack of 4 (Cleansing Conditioner....this is the shampoo/conditioner, Intensive Hair Repair, Styling Creme and Texture Balm) I found that I was running out of the Cleansing Conditioner and I had too many texture balms. I phoned the company and they told me that you can customize your orders so now I get double the cleansing conditioners.
    Anyway, hope that helps:)

http://www.wenhaircare.com/
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My hair is to my hips, and I'm on several long-hair forums similar to this one.

You really shouldn't brush much. Most of the time, use a wide-tooth comb. Never brush wet hair. When you do brush, use a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils to the length. Only shampoo your scalp - the length really doesn't need it more than a few times a month, if that. Don't pile your hair on top your head and mush it all around when you shampoo - that just causes tangles. Use a good conditioner and leave it on for a minute or two before rinsing. Jojoba or coconut oil applied and left on for a couple of hours or overnight several times a week is a great treatment. Consider bunning or braiding your hair when out in the sun and wind.

Treat your hair like antique lace and it'll look great. Good luck!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have really really thick hair, and it always has tangles. I use a Body Shop wooden brush with metal teeth, when I bother, but I only remember/have time to brush my hair maybe once a week, if that. I hardly ever do it.
  • fteale
    Options
    I actually think the best thing you can do for your hair is leave it alone. I wash mine 2 or 3 times a week, but I never ever use conditioner, I have never owned a dryer, and I don't ever straighten or curl it, I have never dyed it. I just wash it then forget about it, and absolutely everyone comments on what lovely hair I have and what great condition it is in. I think a lot of people's hair problems are self inflicted from just messing around too much with it. My little sister has the same hair as me, but even thicker and so long she can sit on it. It is absolutely amazing. She once didn't wash it for 2 years, and it looked amazing, though I couldn't do that. It really is the most beautiful hair I have ever seen.
  • kristiek7
    Options
    You guys are awesome awesome!!! Thank you SO much for the tips........definately will be making some purchases and also leaving it alone!!!! Thinking I'm washing/brushing way too much..........thanks ladies!!!!!!
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, I brush my hair once a day. the rest of the day I just run my fingers thru it, or put my hair up, or throw a ball cap on!!

I also only wash my hair twice a week, Maybe three times with summer and humidity, and sweating more than the winter.

I alternate with Herbal Essance & Dove Shampoo and Conditioners. By alternating, I mean, when I run out of Dove, I go purchase Herbal Essance, when I run out of Herbal Essance I purchase Dove. this is what my Hair Stylist suggested to do, and I dont have much Hair breakage issues, or tangle issues anymore...

less Brushing, Less washing, and Alternate Shampoo's/Conditioners!!

Ball Caps are my best friend! Especially with the windows down, or at the beach =)
  • chrit4u
    chrit4u Posts: 34
    Options
    I also do not brush my hair alot. I use milk bath to wash it (no conditioner). I never put color, or flat iron it. I also never put hairspray or any other products in it. I also get lots of compliments on my hair. Good luck .
  • fteale
    Options
    I also do not brush my hair alot. I use milk bath to wash it (no conditioner). I never put color, or flat iron it. I also never put hairspray or any other products in it. I also get lots of compliments on my hair. Good luck .

I am glad I am not the only one who recommends leaving it alone! I always get people making very narky comments when I tell them that's my "secret". I really think most damage is caused by over working the hair, and people don't want to hear that as they want an easy fix.
  • MrsWarrior
    MrsWarrior Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, till i found the tangleteezer
    It looks like a cheap plastic thing but it does wonders.