Holiday Barbeques

Options
Ok, so my hubby, kids and I were invited to a cookout today at my hubby's new golf buddy's (met him at the course and have been playing together for a few months now) home. I was at a cookout yesterday, which was my family so I didn't look weird bringing my own fat free hot dog and stuff like that. Not only do I not feel right toting my own food along to somewhere I've never been, my hubby told me the guy got all this stuff to make mixed drinks because he knows I don't like beer. I don't want to be drinking empty calories! Is it ok to not drink them or should I just drink one to be nice? What would you do? I don't want to make a bad impression on his family.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would say no thank's I'll take a bottled water if you have one.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    bbqs are a tough one for me also :(
    but bring your own low cal drinks and go for the lower cal options and the salad to fill you up you should just about survive(with a bit of extra exersice thrown in there)!
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I'm having a drink to be social or simply because I *want* one, I'll have the alcohol of choice in a diet soda. E.g., cherry vodka in diet coke/pepsi. Or Captain Morgan's spiced rum in diet coke/pepsi. And stick to ONE. I understand not wanting to DRINK calories; it does seem useless. But at least this drink eliminates the mixer calories.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Don't have a drink and feel you have to.

There's MANY reasons why someone would not have an alcoholic drink.

Ex, Your the DD - You won't make a bad impression.
  • MCrome
    MCrome Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i would say your dieting because then he will no, your saying no for a good reason.

I would talk about it, so he will no how important it is to you. xx
  • kklemencic
    kklemencic Posts: 45
    Options
    I think you have to do what you want. I have been making healthy life style changes for a few years, it takes time to change bad habits. For myself I know I will have a beer or drink in the future so even while I am working at taking pounds off I still have one. The key for me is to remember moderation. Last night my husband and I grilled a wheat shrimp pizza and I had a beer with it, my first in weeks but I enjoyed it and didn't feel guilty because I make good choices the majority of the time. It's a fun BBQ with your family, have one, sip it slowly and enjoy it and the socialization of the picnic.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I never bring my own food but bringing your own healthy dish to pass is a good alternative ;) Than you know you can have that without cringing and stressing over your food. Does he have chicken breasts? Maybe get a package of chicken breasts for grilling to pass along as well. I'm sure there are others concerned about what they're eating besides you. Actually, you could make a huge bowl of salad greens and have him grill up the chicken and there you have it, your healthy dish to pass and food for yourself without feeling guilty!

As far as drinking goes, workout today and have a drink or two without feeling guilty (if you want). Otherwise, just tell him that you prefer not to drink (or maybe your the DD??) .
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Does he have chicken breasts?

na i'm pretty sure he always looks like that!! lol
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Does he have chicken breasts?

na i'm pretty sure he always looks like that!! lol
    lol