Do I need to eat cholesterol?

Options
I've noticed my cholesterol intake is pretty low...never reach my set "goal" for the day by this site...does eating cholesterol have any health benefit?

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    I've noticed my cholesterol intake is pretty low...never reach my set "goal" for the day by this site...does eating cholesterol have any health benefit?
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i dont think cholesterol is a nutrient. You can increase or decrease your cholesterol level with the foods you eat and the amount of exercise you do... But I amy be wrong
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122
    Options
    cholesterol is important, you shouldn't exceed more than 300mg per day, if you like eggs that could be difficult. Staying under 300 is not that difficult unless you eat lots of fatty meat. It is important to eat a balanced diet that includes eating some cholesterol, you should get it from healthy fats like nuts and olive oil etc. Exercising will not increase the amount you are allowed to eat.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    yep, 300 is the suggested limit. I've been able to stay way under that most days.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol isn't needed in our diet. It only occurs in Animal sources, so Vegans never get any, and it isn't an issue. Our bodies create cholesteral natually.

You should treat that number as an upper limit, but lower is better. There is a belief that a diet too high in cholesterol can lead to an increase in our cholesterol level which is a leading indicator of heart disease.