795 CALORIES?!!! OMG

Options
124»

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    OP, how much spaghetti did you have? That seems to me as though it must have been a HUGE plateful to contain so many calories. Are you using the dried weight calories when you weighed it cooked? MAkes a difference!! I try to limit pasta and rice to 50-75g dried weight and cooked I have one spoonfull - with rice that's about the size of a small jacket potato, with spaghetti it sort of flops onto the plate so no idea!!

HTH,

Blobbyx
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid pasta unless in Italy, and then just eat a small portion. I was horrified the first time I had risotto after starting to log things in here. It's about 800 cals for a cup. Crazy. I admit I haven't made it since.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/Bolognese-Sauce/r8514.html
    It's a Diabetic friendly sauce with only 92.8 calories and 4 g of fat. Check it out!
  • hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To answer the question the first poster had about rice: shredded cauliflower is a great substitute, very low in cals. The taste is different of course but with a sauce (especially curry) it's not that noticeable, and the texture is very similar. If you don't want to go without rice completely you could mix half rice, half cauliflower.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    haha no brainer.....smaller portion size?????
    OP wasn't asking for your tactless judgement nor your "holier than thou" attitude.
    If someone has just eaten a MASSIVE amount of spaghetti, far more than is reasonable, someone telling that person to have a smaller portion size is a perfectly acceptable response, and it's exactly what I was going to say.

If someone really had eaten that amount, and is asking for help on here, the problem would definitely be that they have had a major misconception about healthy food portions, and that needs addressing.

However, kudos to whoever clicked that the OP might have weighed it cooked, smart thinking! :smile:
  • smtraxx
    smtraxx Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    All has been said that needs to be said about the pasta side of this question. I think you know now where you went wrong. All tips about using veg and squash "pasta" all great adivse. One more tip is to use Turkey mince instead of normal mince. It's about half the calories or more of normal beef mince. I'm sure your little one wouldn't even notice the change and it tastes good too.

Don't stress. At the beginning all these "experts" on here must have all made mistakes along the way.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • biggahoona
    biggahoona Posts: 10
    Options
    The shirataki noodles (aka yam noodles) are a good idea, if you like them. I see they even make rice too.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias=grocery&field-keywords=shirataki+noodles&x=0&y=0&sprefix=shirataki+noodles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles
    80 calories for an entire 8 ounce package. I can find the House brand in the cooler in the health food section of my grocery store.
  • bex481
    bex481 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have given up spaghetti. I love it too much!! I have swapped it with Spaghetti SQUASH. It is absolutely delicious!!! Top it with your sauce and you won't miss your real spaghetti as much!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Don't stress. At the beginning all these "experts" on here must have all made mistakes along the way.

I don't believe anyone was claiming to be an expert, or that they hadn't made mistakes - quite the opposite in fact. When people have been through pitfalls, it's natural that they should want to help others to avoid making the mistakes that they have. The tone of your post sounds almost derogatory - as though experience counts for little. :ohwell:

I apologise if that wasn't how you meant it to sound, but that's how it came across! :wink:
  • smtraxx
    smtraxx Posts: 60 Member
    Options

I don't believe anyone was claiming to be an expert, or that they hadn't made mistakes - quite the opposite in fact. When people have been through pitfalls, it's natural that they should want to help others to avoid making the mistakes that they have. The tone of your post sounds almost derogatory - as though experience counts for little. :ohwell:

I apologise if that wasn't how you meant it to sound, but that's how it came across! :wink:

That is why I put experts in inverted comas. I was under no illusion that anyone had claimed to be an expert. I was having a dig at the many posts that simply stated "eat less, exercise more, simple" and "OMG you ate how much pasta". The OP was looking for constructive advise not to be out and out criticised. I appreciate that it may have sounded a tad harsh but compared to some of the replies, please.

Experience counts for everything on this site and as such the people that have been through this should know that if someone reaches out for help, help is what they are after not judgement.

But likewise to your apology, I too apologise if my post caused you or anyone else offence.
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    You could try eating tofu shirataki noodles. They are only 20 calories for 4 oz. If you do try them, be sure to rinse them VERY VERY well.

http://www.house-foods.com/tofu/tofu_shirataki.aspx
  • Nikipowpez
    Nikipowpez Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I really like the shirataki noodles or Miracle Noodles. They come in several different "shapes". They are fat free, calorie free and have zero net carbs. Some people are put off by the texture and the fact they come already moist. They take on the flavor of whatever sauce you use and are very filling. http://www.miraclenoodle.com/
  • bevvykins
    bevvykins Posts: 11
    Options
    If you get the whole wheat spaghetti noodles (barilla is what I use) they are only 80-100 calories per serving :)
  • chelsieliberty
    Options
    Another option would be to check out some of the options from Lean Cuisine. Whenever I get a craving for something I think will put me over my calorie limits I check to see what kind of low-cal options they have. Good luck!

http://www.leancuisine.com/Products/Details.aspx?ProductID=56