Help, I need back, shoulder and neck strengthening exercises

ch178
ch178 Posts: 364 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
If anyone know of some good exercises for back, shoulders, and neck I would be very appreciative. I've had problems with pain in these areas because my chest is fairly large, it was a problem even when I was 110lbs. I know I need to strengthen these areas to help support the weight.

Replies

• srb1990
    srb1990 Posts: 37
    You should try yoga to loosen up them areas...theres probably alot of tension so that would be the best exercise to ease the pain
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    This might be a cop-out answer, but I'd go online to a program like "Body by Jake" on Hulu.com and find their upper back and arm exercises. It's difficult to give descriptions of exercises, especially when form is so important in strength training. You can also try their "abs" video as well, which focuses on core strength. You'll do a lot to strengthen your upper back with a core program, as well.

Or, if you want more one-on-one, hire a personal trainer for a few sessions. It's well worth the investment. DON'T go through a gym. Hire one privately. It's usually cheaper and you can usually get a 30 minute session instead of a 50 minute session.

Good luck!
  • ch178
    I can feel that I am very tense in those areas. I will definitely try that, thanks.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    I can feel that I am very tense in those areas. I will definitely try that, thanks.

have you ever been to a chiropractor?
    some people don't like them at all, but mine helped fix my back problems
  • ch178

No I've never been to one, I may have to look into that. Some of my family goes and it has seemed to help them.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member

No I've never been to one, I may have to look into that. Some of my family goes and it has seemed to help them.

some people don't believe in it, but it worked wonders for me. my lower back was a mess and my hips were way out of line. it hurt to sit in my chair at work all day. it took a while and quite a few visits, but it worked really well

i carry all my stress in my neck and shoulders and i'm typing all day so i'm constantly tense in that area and the chiropractor helped with that as well.
  • ch178

some people don't believe in it, but it worked wonders for me. my lower back was a mess and my hips were way out of line. it hurt to sit in my chair at work all day. it took a while and quite a few visits, but it worked really well

i carry all my stress in my neck and shoulders and i'm typing all day so i'm constantly tense in that area and the chiropractor helped with that as well.

I used to have alot of problems with my lower back too. They sent me to physiotherapy for it and it helped a bit. Now it's more upper back so I think I will go see what a chiropractor has to say.
  • ashley_jorah
    ashley_jorah Posts: 71 Member
    I have a fairly large chest as well, and it puts a huge strain on my shoulders/neck. Plus I have a muscle imbalance from years of a sport. At my worst, I couldn't reach over my head or behind my back to dress myself. I still have problems operating the radio in my car some days.
    I'm currently banned from any chest exercises (no more weight of any kind needed there) and have been for years.
    My shoulders are the worst, so I'm currently working on rotator cuff exercises mostly, and some mid-back stuff (to hold my shoulder blade down)
    Look up rotator cuff exercises. (ie/ http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/265.html) I also add back stuff like lat pull downs and seated or bent over rows.
    All the physios I've used have been useless for me. (just not good ones think). but my chiropracter and my massage therapist have worked wonders in helping me try to fix my problem.
  • ch178
    I have a fairly large chest as well, and it puts a huge strain on my shoulders/neck. Plus I have a muscle imbalance from years of a sport. At my worst, I couldn't reach over my head or behind my back to dress myself. I still have problems operating the radio in my car some days.
    I'm currently banned from any chest exercises (no more weight of any kind needed there) and have been for years.
    My shoulders are the worst, so I'm currently working on rotator cuff exercises mostly, and some mid-back stuff (to hold my shoulder blade down)
    Look up rotator cuff exercises. (ie/ http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/265.html) I also add back stuff like lat pull downs and seated or bent over rows.
    All the physios I've used have been useless for me. (just not good ones think). but my chiropracter and my massage therapist have worked wonders in helping me try to fix my problem.

Thanks so much for the info, I'll look those up :)
This discussion has been closed.