566 calories for a taco.

Options
funkyspunky871
funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
I'm freaking out here. I never want to eat again. Apparently, a taco I had last night from the kids menu at Moe's Southwest Grill has ***566 CALORIES***. It makes no sense. I don't know whether to believe it or not... But I am up about a pound since yesterday and my weight doesn't normally fluctuate day to day unless I've eaten over my calorie limits. http://www.moes.com/Food.php?ii=1 I had a hard shell taco with about 2-3 tbsp of ground beef, lettuce, and diced tomatoes. No cheese, no sour cream, no guacamole. No chips on the side, no rice, no beans. I've never had a problem with Moe's nutrition calculator until I ordered a damn taco.

490 calories just for a taco shell the size of my palm?! 390 calories for a "crispy" salad bowl that's 5x the size of the taco shell? 600 calories for a burrito the size of my head?!

566 for a single taco just can't be right, can it?

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem right to me.
  • kalelwifey
    kalelwifey Posts: 172
    Options
    i think its the same asss how...a grilled chicken sandwhich with wheat bread from mcdonalds has...the same if not more calories as a sonic burger all the way...think its best to just..eat at homee lol or stick with a salad
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    why do you think there is a huge obesity problem in America????
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    How can they make something that should be a good choice that bad for you?! There must be something we are not taking into account here.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sounds like when I ate a veggie and black bean burrito at Baja Fresh. Granted I shouldn't have eaten the entire thing, but I did, when I got home to log it...........OVER 800 CALORIES!!!!! For veggies and beans! I was floored. I just know I can't eat out anymore unless it's a cheat day, and even then I know it'll put me way over so it's just not worth it to me. I bring snacks with me everywhere I go, but if the bf or a friend wants to go out I just eat first and have something healthier and small.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Believe it baby, Moe's is fresh and tasty but all of their stuff is HIGH CALORIE. I had a tofu burrito from there that cost me 663 calories the other day. It was huge and delicious and worth it though.
    I only get 1200 calories a day so what I'll do is just...for example that day I just had no food til lunch time. Lunchtime, ate the burrito. Don't want to eat before that or you'll have nothing for later when youre hungriest. lunch was around 12:30. i ate my remaining calories around 3:30 and then in the evening just worked out and kept my mind off food. really wasn't hungry. ideally, the 3:30 meal would've been more around 5:30 to stretch it out as much as possible...but it works out fine.
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    It's the crispy taco shell that is so loaded in calories. Remember, it's probably deep fried!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    can you go to the website and check? I find that at restaurants it is crazy and I was shocked! Before I go to a restaurant I check the websites and database to try and select the best thing! I think yours would have been less as you took stuff off it but I would have guessed 450-600 if someone had asked me before doing my research! Especially since when you make tacos at home they are so much less than that!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Next time you go, try a streaker. No shell. Takes the calories down a lot.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is right. Make a taco like you have in your create recipe page. I bet it's not what you think.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'd enter the food items separately (I'm sure you can find taco shell, ground beef, etc.). The weight you "gained" is totally sodium. Restaurants are crazy with the salt shaker. Drink water, take a walk, and don't stress! =)
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with shopgirl- when you go from 300-600 calories just by changing from a soft taco to a hard taco shell, its probably because it is deep fried.
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    What really bothers me is that I think taco shells bought from the store are around 150 calories... For THREE of them.

And a hard taco with cheese at taco bell is like 170 calories.

I couldn't look at the nutrition information beforehand because Moe's doesn't work on the iphone. I was going off of MFP estimates and a few other estimates from calorie counting apps and websites. All of those (some with cheese, some without) were 150-250 calories. I figured I'd be fine.
  • donquada
    donquada Posts: 1
    Options
    Actually, there is an entry for a hard shell taco with beef, lettuce and tomato that lists it as 181 calories. 1 hard taco shell seems to have about 50 calories.
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    Believe it baby, Moe's is fresh and tasty but all of their stuff is HIGH CALORIE. I had a tofu burrito from there that cost me 663 calories the other day. It was huge and delicious and worth it though.
    I only get 1200 calories a day so what I'll do is just...for example that day I just had no food til lunch time. Lunchtime, ate the burrito. Don't want to eat before that or you'll have nothing for later when youre hungriest. lunch was around 12:30. i ate my remaining calories around 3:30 and then in the evening just worked out and kept my mind off food. really wasn't hungry. ideally, the 3:30 meal would've been more around 5:30 to stretch it out as much as possible...but it works out fine.

663 for a huge burrito vs. 566 for a kid's menu taco. Just doesn't make sense.

Thanks everybody though. It's done and over. I guess I just needed to share my frustrations a bit. I will never eat a taco again.
  • TheresaRichardson
    Options
    Hey there. I checked the website too and the calories jumped from 226 for a soft flour tortilla with ground beef to 566 for a crispy corn taco shell. That's a big difference! My guess is the shell is fried. Didn't think it would make THAT big of a difference!
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    Hey there. I checked the website too and the calories jumped from 226 for a soft flour tortilla with ground beef to 566 for a crispy corn taco shell. That's a big difference! My guess is the shell is fried. Didn't think it would make THAT big of a difference!

I know. :( A side of chips though (which I know are deep-fried) is 330 calories. Mind-boggling.
  • WhyW8
    WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yep - it's prob. right - eating out is not much fun anymore because its just not worth it! (my husband thought I took a long time to order before I was counting calories...that's nothing compared to how long I take now!) Last year my office mates convinced me to get a bean and cheese burrito from Carl's Jr / The Green Burrito (this thing was so small - the size of a fat marker wrapped in a burrito shell and it clocked in at 470 cals / 19g fat!! Of course I didn't know it until after...after I ate 2 of them!!! Meanwhile they had been getting them 2x weekly! What an eye opener. Needless to say NONE of us get them anyomre after finding out the info. And luckily if I do go out to eat my husband has a small appetite so I can pick something on the menu and split it with him and only feel half as guilty. BUt with fast food places being so cheap now and on every corner its no wonder we all keep getting bigger and bigger. At least you know now, and you can make better choices going forward. Also, if the sodium was high in that thing it could be a water retention thing that you are up a pound too. (When I eat sushi / chinese food or anything else that gets paired with soy sauce my weight goes up until I flush the sodium out - usually after a day of back to normal eating it goes back down)
  • WhyW8
    WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I will never eat a taco again.

Make your own - then you know whats in it and you can eat it and feel good about it!
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    I will never eat a taco again.

Make your own - then you know whats in it and you can eat it and feel good about it!

I don't think I could stomach it. Lol.