First 5K!

Options
Did my first 5K yesterday. I'll admit that I didn't train as well as I had planned to... there ended up being no training schedule, just whenever I felt like doing it. So the race starts and within 5 minutes I'm thinking I'm about to die and there is no way I'm going to finish this thing which is when some of the walking started. At about 1 mile I'm swearing that I'll never do this again. At 1.5 miles I get to the loop to head back and there is this hill... short (so they said) but STEEP. There was no way I was running up that so walking it was. Figured I was done. Running back down was helpful though. Continued on through miles 2 and 3 wondering why I was punishing myself and swearing that I was NOT made for running. And yet, I made it to the end. Did a lot of walking and managed to push myself to run over the finish line. About 5 minutes after I finished, I'm now thinking... that wasn't so bad, I'll probably do it again next year. LOL!

Ran/walked it with my sister in honor of my grandmother. My sister who didn't train is having a hard time moving today and says she's never doing that again. :) My profile pic is the two of us... she's got the hat on and I'm the short one. I was proud of us. My finishing time... 39:45! (Way better than anything I managed on the treadmill.)

Replies

• SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Karen
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Congrats to both you and your sister for completing the 5K!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep training and go ahead and sign up for another one. You did great!
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    That is fabulous, I have my first 5K on June 18 and my training plan has also gone to **** and I am really hoping I also survive just like you did. THanx for the the inspiration, knowing there are other people out there that are attempting the same thing I am going to attempt in just 20 days makes me feel so much better :flowerforyou:
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congrats on your first 5k- I just did my first one this weekend, too! What a feeling, right?
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You'll make it! You won't think so while you're doing it but you will. :)
    That is fabulous, I have my first 5K on June 18 and my training plan has also gone to **** and I am really hoping I also survive just like you did. THanx for the the inspiration, knowing there are other people out there that are attempting the same thing I am going to attempt in just 20 days makes me feel so much better :flowerforyou:
  • kendradl
    Options
    You'll make it! You won't think so while you're doing it but you will. :)

I really hope so, it helps that I picked a 5K that is more about raising money than about the actual event so that helps.
  • Mahora
    Mahora Posts: 15
    Options
    My first 5k is coming up on Sunday... I'm so nervous and wondering what the h$/&*(& I was thinking registring to that event. I trained running outside 3k and tryed 5k this morning! I did it in 39 minutes (walked a bit because I always get side stitches). I'm getting so nervous I think I'm gonna puke on starting line! Hope everything goes smoothly!
  • Jodasi
    Jodasi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's great girl! Good for you! I did my first 5K a couple of weeks ago. I walked the whole thing because I just started working out the week before. LOL. At first I felt bad because most people ran it but I decided to change my attitude after the first half mile and just be proud of the fact that I was out walking a 5K early on a Sunday morning as opposed to sleeping which is what I normally do. It ended up being a wonderful experience and I got to share it with friends which made it even better. I recommend everyone push themselves to try doing a 5K. It can be painful but the end result feels A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! A real sense of accomplishment.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing your first 5K! Good for you! :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • blackmamba886
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I'm still sore but I'm hoping to start back up again this weekend and go for improving my time for next year.
  • kendradl
    Options
    My first 5k is coming up on Sunday... I'm so nervous and wondering what the h$/&*(& I was thinking registring to that event. I trained running outside 3k and tryed 5k this morning! I did it in 39 minutes (walked a bit because I always get side stitches). I'm getting so nervous I think I'm gonna puke on starting line! Hope everything goes smoothly!

I feel exactly the way you do and my 5K isn't until June 18 so I have a little bit of time, I think you will do fine and you should just enjoy the day - at least that is what I keep telling myself. :happy: Good Luck with your 5K on Sunday.
  • ashjf
    ashjf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same thoughts during my first 5k! And I have already signed up for any other 5k on July 3rd. Keep up the good work!

http://meanderingmemoir.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-did-it.html
  • blackmamba886
    Options
    I had the same thoughts during my first 5k! And I have already signed up for any other 5k on July 3rd. Keep up the good work!

http://meanderingmemoir.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-did-it.html

Awesome :) Yeah I want to do it again next year. I'm still undecided about how soon I want to do another one. There's one in my city in a few weeks that's 4 miles and is done at night... I haven't been able to find anyone to do it with me yet and am undecided if I want to just go and do it by myself.