Question for those who do early morning workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually have a half cup of yogurt or a banana before I leave the house to go workout, then eat a meal when I get home.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Nope, no food here.....NEVER......only water. I like to burn the stored fat.....yeah baby! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before an early morning workout. Water is enough for me:bigsmile: I usually eat right after my workout.
  • mred93
    mred93 Posts: 100
    Options
    I always eat before my morning workout or i feel sick
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I dont think fasted workouts are 'bad' for you. It really depends on what you're doing. For example, when I lift weights first thing in the morning, I eat breakfast first. Simply because at that time I am trying to gain muscle and I need fuel to push myself to lift heavy weights. However, recently I've been doing Insanity, and I make sure NOT to eat first. Because my goal with Insanity is to shed fat. The only hitch is that with very intense workouts, and mostly for lean people, your body has a tendency to burn muscle instead of fat. To counteract this, there are a couple things you can do. First, give your body a reason to hold on to muscle. Lift some heavy weights a couple times a week. Second, you can supplement with BCAA's. If I need a bit of a boost before my am insanity, I will chug a glass of water with two scoops of BCAAs. They are Branched-chain amino acids, and it will help trick you body into not burning up your muscle. That is my extremely-dumbed down understanding of it, but if you do some reading on T Nation or body buliding.com, you'll find more info.

Someone told me once: Eat for what you're about to do.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you excerise on an empty stomach you are actually working off stored fats...I hope this is true because it is what I have been doing.

This is what I have heard also.

I don't eat before I work out because I'm not hungry at 4:30a and I'd rather have my breakfast which is a protein shake w/ frozen fruit as a post-workout recovery meal.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    No, I don't eat before a workout. If I'm really tired and thinking about "not" working out I might drink a cup of coffee to give myself a jolt. I like protein shakes after a workout.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have to have something on my stomach in order to work out. Otherwise, I get tired, sick and weak. I can't eat anything because I feel bloated, so I just have a protein shake. This has been working wonders for me, and I am able to get through a great workout each time.
    Good luck!
  • steph19812008
    Options
    It is recommended to eat something before an early morning workout to kickstart your metabolism. This way your body avoids the starvation mode which holds onto fat.