Where's the Fiber?

Options
I see everyone obsessed with getting in enough excerse, but one thing I have noticed with those trying to loose weight: When I peek at their food diary - on those that are available, I see very litte fiber (beans, nuts) and very few, if any vegetables. I have doubled the amount of fiber in my diet, and I feel full and satisfied more than I ever have before, and find that I don't eat as much. What are people's thoughts on fiber?

Replies

• nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    I feel the same way. I eat a lot of protein but I also eat beans, lentils, veggies, and fruit at every meal. They are staples on my menu.
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.plus it makes me not feel so bloated!!!
  • codyyde
    codyyde Posts: 36
    Options
    I feel like fiber is very important in the diet. I try to get as much as I can by eating whole grain foods and veggies because when you eat fiber you also burn calories and I like that it will keep me regular :P I don't have any problem, I'm only 19 but still it's very good for your digestive health to prevent cancers of the intestines as well.
  • Kristinemillar
    Options
    Lots of fruit and veg here too.... Can't have a balanced diet without them.. I amso think folks should be eating a lot more wholegrain as part of their daily intake..

Grains I'm not a huge fan of... I like having them occassionally as a side with a meal but other than that not really... I don't struggle with my fiber intake though.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    OK so fiber is a really good thing, along with tons of water, so how much fiber is enough? thats my question!
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Anything between 25-35 is good. I personally think over that would be a bit much.

If you actually eat a raw vegetables and fruit (no toppings) with most of your meals it is actually hard to gain weight. One because raw vegetables are not calorically dense and it makes your body works harder to digest it. If you eat raw, I personally prefer organic, because it has more taste then factory farm vegetables that tend lack nutrients and taste. Tomatoes are a great example. A lot of tomatoes at big grocery stores come from lines genetically designed to be tougher and last longer on the shelf. Great for profits but they also have a lot less taste.

Also, a handful of raw nuts a great daily add because of the fiber and good fats.

I think one mistake a lot of people make that worry about fiber is that they try get it from whole grains. I eat very little bread or grain products and when I do it's live whole sprouted grains. You are better off getting your fiber from vegetables and nuts than processed grains. It will taste better, have tons more nutrients and not be packed full of fast burning carbs.