A LOT of Questions....:huh:

Options
Ok so here's the run down, I suck at food choices sometimes...well mostly all the time! So here's my questions!

- What should I eat for breakfast if I don't like breakfast?
- What should I eat before a workout? After?
- Whats the best protein to buy?
- What vitamin supplements should I take?

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    you can eat lunch for breakfast if you want to...no where does it say that you must have cereal or eggs...I prefer pizza with no cheese...before work out? I have supper...and let my belly rest for at least a half an hour before I go to the gym...after, it's usually a protein shake, kashi honey crackers with almond butter, what ever I can eat that will up my calories. Buy lean proteins, but really beef isn't bad for you either (only reason why I don't eat steak is because it gives me wicked cramps). I take a woman's one a day vitamin and calcium with magnesium and vitamin D (I don't eat dairy)...you'll be fine, just read the labels, figure out what portion sizes are...get some measuring cups and a cheap scale to begin with. After while you'll be able to eyeball a cup of soup or 3oz of steak.
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, since I don't really like it either, I usually have a green tea and a fruit, like an apple or orange. Sometimes I make omelets or toast with peanut butter. You could try cereal if you like that too.

Protein is a good idea before working out, and afterwards I usually have a protein shake or a fruit smoothie.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about protein because I'm a vegetarian so I'll let someone else give you advice on that! (sorry!)

Vitamin supplements are important. Right now I take B12, but multivitamins are always a good idea if you know you aren't getting enough/the right nutrients. I also use Women's One A Day multivitamins, they have most things like iron, B12, calcium, and many other things. Your doctor or pharmacist could also recommend one that is best for you.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1. Instead of telling you what to eat I'll tell you what NOT to eat.
    Eliminate all the white posions - flours, breads, sugars, salts
    Eliminate all soda's - Diet & Regular
    Eliminate all processed foods
    Eliminate all high fat meats, cheese and yogurts.

2. Personally when trying to lose weight I don't eat anything before a workout. If you need a pick me up there are lots
    of pre-workout supplements on the market.
    For post workout I like protein. Egg white, lean meat in my omelet, chobani non fat plain greek yogurt with stevia, protein
    shake, Shakeology...all good sources of protein.

3. I only use Optimum Nutrition Protein. July 2010 Consumer reports did a study on Protein powders and there are little to
    no metals or arsenics in their products.

4. Women's daily multi vitamin, fish oil, to start....I'll let the ladies answer this one.
    (I take Optimum Nutrition Men's vitamin, fish oil and saw Palmetto.)

Hope this helps
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    There are alot of different choices of foods to eat for breakfast.
    Examples: oatmeal, eggs, toast with natural pb, pb w/banana on a whole wheat tortilla wrap, frozen banana with 8ounces milk and 1 scoop of protein powder (mixed in blender)~ Which can also be a great before workout or after workout shake

Before you workout: A food with alot of carbs and some protein. Bananas are great before a workout.
    After your workout: Alot of protein such as eggs or a protein shake and a lil carbs if any
    Protein??? Whey protein. I've also used soy protein. It all depends on the user. It's all personal preference.
    Vitamins well there is a vitamin test you can take go onto Nature Made.com and look for the vitamin test.

Personally I take: One a day women's active metabolism multi vitamin, an iron supplement, B-Complex with vitamin C, Calcium magnesium and zinc pills, Green tea with hoodia & Cinnamon tablets.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, one thing that you should know right off the bat...as long as it is food, you can eat it for breakfast...meaning you don't have to stick to old standards! One of my favorite breakfasts is a thomas' everything bagel thin, 1 oz. of fat free cream cheese, 1/4 cup of fresh raspberries, sliced deli turkey and baby spinach. YUM!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: How about a protien meal replacement drink with fruit blended into it? I like banana with one cup fat free milk and one scoop (26g) of Slim-Fast 3-2-1 Plan powder. That equals 310 calories, with 21% protien, 3.8g of fat, and 8g of fiber. Plus it takes care of my sweet tooth! ;) I also drink about 2 cups of water to help my body process the protien effictively.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    Thanks Guys this helped SOOOO much! I did the naturemade test and saw i need Vitamin E 400 IU dl Alpha, Calcium 500 mg with Vitamin D and Stress B-Complex with Zinc! I already take a prenatal pill (it's a great multi-vitamin!) and biotin!

I'm also going to try a mix to keep me motivated to eat healthy by switching oatmeal, Kashi GoLEAN Crunch, eggs, turkey, whole wheat bread, protein shakes and zone bars!