How long to Jog a Mile?

Options
Hey MFP!
Hope everyone is doing great and staying motivated!

I have a question regarding jogging/running. What is a healthy/good time to jog/run a mile in? I am 20 years old, 5'3. I was watching the news a month ago and they were saying that it is good for a female to run/jog a mile between 10 to 12 minutes and for males 8 to 11 minutes (I think).

I just start jogging and I want to eventually be able to jog a whole mile in a decent amount of time. Today I jogged .3 miles without stopping! I have been working on it for a week and a half now.

Thanks for your help and keeping me Motivated!
-M.

Replies

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Right now, don't worry about how fast you can run one mile. Just concentrate on being about to run it. Speed will come with time. Building up your endurance and aerobic base is much more important at the moment.

You can do it!
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Dont worry about running a 4 min mile, im in training for a 10 mile race in october and im currently happy running a 11/12 min mile, 5mph, that'll do me!!!
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Pick a speed that is comfortable for you and increase your time that you can stay at that speed - I started being able to do about 30 seconds ant 6mph - now I can do 2 minutes. And it has taken me months to get there. My goal is to be able to jog a whole mile by the end of the year - I don't care how fast I do it, just that it is all faster than a walk!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Im 19 and 5 ft 3! I would actually say a good time for a woman would be an 8 minute mile! You will get there in no time :D I went from an 11 minute mile to under 7 minutes in a few months :) we can do anything we set our mind to!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Right now, don't worry about how fast you can run one mile. Just concentrate on being about to run it. Speed will come with time. Building up your endurance and aerobic base is much more important at the moment.

You can do it!

I agree... When I started running/jogging I did a 15 min mile. It is about completing it at the speed you can and then work at going faster later :wink:
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above statement. Just run the mile and then work on the speed running it just a wee bit faster each time. I started out doing it in 11min and now I can do it in 8:30 (maybe faster, but I normally run 3 at a time so I take it slower)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

You can do it!

I agree... When I started running/jogging I did a 15 min mile. It is about completing it at the speed you can and then work at going faster later :wink:

I have to agree with this!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Yeah, speed will come. The most important thing is getting down your breathing and a good rythem and completing a that mile.
    When I started running over 2 years ago I ran a 14 minutes mile. Now I can do in mile in under 7 minutes. It just takes time.
    Don't rush it cuz you don't want to hurt yourself.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You'll have better run times over time. Every time you lose weight, you'll most likely have better run times. If you push yourself over the summer, I would say you could have a ten minute mile by the fall.
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding!

I have been working on control breathing...I found out that it really does make a difference compared to panting and only breathing through my mouth.

I agree, I think I should focus more on completing a whole mile first then worrying about the time later...I am going to keep at it and I know one day I will be able to jog a whole mile straight, no matter what the time is.

M.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Meh, ignore the media.

What healthy is what works for you. When I first started jogging, I could only go 4.5 miles/hour (on the treadmill) and only for about 10 minutes. I kept working my endurance up and working my speed up a bit at a time. (Alternate, increase endurance so you go longer, then increase speed a bit so you go faster, then endurance to get up to at least the old time, etc). At my best I ran a 10k (6.4 miles) in 63 min, so average 10 minute mile, and a 5k in about 25 so a bit faster but not as long. And I'm still a slow runner. Google marathon times for a local marathon or qualifications for the Boston marathon, and you'll see women who run a whole lot faster. But even if you're "slogging" along at a 12 or 15 minute mile it's good for your body, and you don't want to push yourself too fast too far.
  • soapski
    soapski Posts: 6
    Options
    Yeah speed will come with time I can run a mile in ten minuites but I will hoefullyy improve this time if i keep going
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe that how fast you can run a mile is an indicator of health or physical fitness. It's completely arbitrary.

I have no idea how fast I can run a mile. Why on earth would I stop at one? For short distances 5 to 10k I average about 9 min per mile. For 13.1 I finally have my average down to 10:03 per mile, working on improving that. Yes, if I was stopping at 1 I'd be able to do faster than 9, but I'd say the number of miles I run and my races are a much better measure of my ability.

I'm also 5'3 and don't think height has anything to do with it either.

For you as a new runner and someone who wants to improve health and fitness thru physical activity I would recomend working on a couch to 5k program. That will gradually get you to a mile and beyond in a structured way and help you avoid injury. It's very gradual at the beginning of the program you are only running 1 or 2 minutes at a time. Just a thought.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For you as a new runner and someone who wants to improve health and fitness thru physical activity I would recomend working on a couch to 5k program. That will gradually get you to a mile and beyond in a structured way and help you avoid injury. It's very gradual at the beginning of the program you are only running 1 or 2 minutes at a time. Just a thought.

Absolutely this. Couch to 5K is great!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Yes, agreed. Couch 2 5K is wonderful!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    forum hiccup. :blushing:
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am a 41 years old, 5'8" and I started off at a 12 minute mile to now a 9 minute mile. I went from running a mile to up to 6 miles.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about running a 4 min mile, im in training for a 10 mile race in october and im currently happy running a 11/12 min mile, 5mph, that'll do me!!!

Yeah, the longer your run the slower the pace!!
  • aggieamy05
    aggieamy05 Posts: 11
    Options
    I run at the pace that feels comfortable for me. If I push myself too hard in the first couple of miles I'll be unable to log the later miles. Also the more miles you log the more your pace changes.

I usually start out with a 10 minute mile, I'll kick it up about mile three to a nine minute mile, then I'll get tired and slow down, then kick it back up again as I get rested (see how my pace changes!). I average a 10 minute mile though.

I'm training for a Full Marathon right now.

When I started running it was just going as far as I could, didn't matter how fast I am. I like to say I am "Slow and Steady" lol.

I like to say at least your lapping those on the couch :wink:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I just go.. I use runkeeper to let me know what I'm doing.. I went from 12 minutes, to 11:50, to 11:13 and I just did a 5 miler and my mile pace was 10:47. That's my best distance and speed. When learning to run it is better to slow down. Work on speed once you can run a mile plus. :)