Size charts, chubby waist.. huffff!!

d_smith85
d_smith85 Posts: 94
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've lost a lot of weight, and for the most part I'm happy with my progress. I feel great, look pretty darn good... but the one problem. I can't get rid of my tummy! I do MAD cardio, so I'm losing fat, my abs are rock hard, under all the fluff. I just need to get rid of a few inches. I'm pretty sure it will just take time. But I'm frustrated. I live in a small remote town with ZERO shopping available. I need new clothes, so the only way I can get them without travelling 100s of miles is to order them online. My measurements are 37 34 39 YUCK! I just wish I could get my waist down to a 29. But to lose 5 inches off my waist and not lose much more off everywhere else at the same time. Impossible. .... So I'm looking on different websites, for dresses, pants, shorts, shirts.. bathingsuits :S and according to my Bust and Hip measurements I'm a medium or a 10. But they always say waist 28-29. I have no idea what to do. I'm still consistently losing weight, and I won't stop until I get to my goal, but I need some stuff to wear .. like now. Should I order a medium and hope for the best? I don't want to order a large, or a 12 and have it be too big. I have an old pair of jeans in a 12 and they're too big. .... Does any one have any words of wisdom for me? excuse me for the rant/ramble.

Danielle.

Replies

• LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    If you wear low-cut jeans/shorts/skirts (not high waisted ones) You don't really have to worry about the waist measurment....That only comes into play if you are looking to buy a nice formal dress. And a medium should be fine in a top for your measurements..
  • Cleaneatinggal23
    Cleaneatinggal23 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi- I am also trying to reduce my stomach. My waist is OK but there's just a whole load of flab in between my waist and my hips- love handles I think they call them! Have you tried stuff like yoga and pilates? It doesn't make you lose fat as such because it's not cardio but it does make you tone up and i've read stories from women who say it has transformed their body shape. As it's not a cardio exercise, perhaps you could do it alongside your cardio stuff.
    Also, in terms of clothes, you should be fine for low-slung jeans etc that don't sit on your waist. you could try wrap dresses or anything that's elasitcated and maybe wear with a corset-style belt which will hold you in and make your waist look smaller.
    And on that topic, it sounds really stupid but I read that Jessica Alba got rid of her baby weight by using a corset. I found this article on the web: http://www.ehow.com/how_4611991_use-corset-lose-weight.html. It might be totally crazy but you never know.
    Well done on your weight loss anyway!!!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    TBH you are probably better off doing the drive to find something that fits. You don't want to order a bunch of stuff and then have to send it all back.
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    You can always get two pairs, in two different sizes and then return the size that doesn't fit? I do that sometimes because I find just relying on measurements doesn't mean that something is going to fit you properly.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'9 with a 33 1/2inch waist. I have a long torso which definitely is an advantage but I know what you mean. I wear a size 10 and medium with no problem. Well, other then I wish it were a size 7/8 :wink:
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    When you hit your goal weight, you'll lose weight all over including your shoulders and arms. The good thing is this--your body will will naturally snap into place so you don't look weird. Once you reach your goal weight, it's possible that your waist will be a 29 inches, so keep doing what you're doing.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I have a similar problem. My waist is more of a size medium/10 but on the bottom I'm a size 6 for the most part (sometimes an 8). I've found that I can get away with wearing size small or medium tops as long as they aren't really tight around my stomach. My measurements are 36-29-36 right now, but if you measure the part of my waist right above my belly button, it's 33" because I still have a bit of a pooch. It has shrunk in the last few months when almost all of my other measurements have stayed the same. Perhaps order both sizes and see how they fit, look for online stores with good return policies, some will have free returns or exchanges.

Otherwise, it might be beneficial to take the trip to go shopping so you can at least figure out what sizes you are in stores you like, then you can continue to order more online in the future.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Trying on clothes irritates me.

You see, my waist is pretty small ( in the lower 30's - like 32) but my hips aren't small. For reasons I can't understand - clothes makers cut size 10 pants with enough hip room in them, but when I try and go to an 8 -- they're too tight through the hips. I can usually get them up - but they feel like they're squeezing my hips.

I've found that 10's are too big in the waist, perfect in the hips and 8's are perfect in the waist and too tight in the hips. I did try on a 6 the other day and it felt GREAT in the waist -- too bad I felt like someone had my hips in a vice grip!

It's tough. I think if I were you - I would order the 10's and see how they work out. I tend to buy the 10's and wear a belt - even though the 8's (or even a 6) may fit.
  • d_smith85
    d_smith85 Posts: 94
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Its nice to hear about what other people close to my size are wearing. I might just go ahead, order a medium or a size 10... and hope it fits. We have plans to go into "town" to visit family this summer. But I want to show up looking good, even if I just have ONE outfit that fits I will be happy. Then I will shop while I'm there. Bootlegger and garage has a "return to store" policy... So I might just order from either of those sites, and if the stuff doesn't fit, I will return it when I go shopping. :) Thanks so much!! :) I feel better! lol
This discussion has been closed.