Safe pregnancy weight

Options
My husband and I are not pregnant yet, but we want to start trying soon. I want to know what is a good weight to begin trying.

My long term goal is to lose 74 lbs to be at the best weight for my height. I am 5 feet flat and currently 201.9 lbs. My Obgyn recommended a 20 lb loss would be safer for pregnancy.

I know that a woman's body doesn't get pregnant unless it's ready, but I want to make sure I'm not putting me and baby at risk because I'm still obese.

I'm going to continue losing weight and I'm hoping to be about 30 lbs lighter by September and then start trying in September.

Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Consult your physician.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My Obgyn said 20 lbs is sufficient, but I don't know that I agree with that number.
    Consult your physician.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended losing 20% of my body weight..I've done more than that, but u also have to consider that the less you weigh, the less chance of complications and so forth :) Also my doctor said the healthy weight gains for pregnancy changes depending if you are underweight, average, or overweight to start off. We've been TTC for a long time so I am an expert on facts and figures unfortunately :)
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    I would talk to your ob/gyn.

In my own opinion I would try to loose atleast 40lbs before trying to concieve. Just becasue in most pregnancy women gain anywhere to 20-30lbs. I know that after you give birth you will loose atleast half the baby weight but why be back in the unsafe weight while pregnant?
  • keepsiejess
    keepsiejess Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Alls I can say is dont start "trying" until you are ready. your body may surprise you by how efficient it can be when it comes to procreation.
    Sounds like your plan is good, cept you might want to take some time pressure off of the weight loss and just loose it when you loose it. So long as it is consistant and with a steady, healthy practice, you cant go wrong!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    if your doctor says losing 20 lbs is recommended, then that is what I would do.

anything you lose after that is good as well.

During Pregency the baby will take what it needs over the mother, it's natures way, that is why many women take pregancy vitamins designed for the baby's health.

I would get right to it and come up with a plan to bring it down, 20 lbs is really the minimum he/she is telling you.

Start to eat better and healthier and doing some exercise.

start today, why wait? we are here to help you and support you! I have three kids, they are awesome, not greater joy.

So let's get to it! Shall we?
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    At 5 ft tall, I would not get pregnant at 180lbs. I got pregnant the 2nd time at 200 (I'm 5'6"). I gained 17lbs during my pregnancy. I also had gestational diabetes and a c-section (not related to the diabetes)

It was tough, even gaining only 17lbs. The water retention and extra weight on my knees was bad (and I was only 29!) I got pregnant 4 weeks into my "diet" so it can happen fast!

It's sooooo much easier on the body when you are smaller and more fit. And you don't necessarily get pregnant when the time is perfect, just when sperm meets egg. And there's a couple million of them vs one egg :wink:

I may have one more child, and it will not be till I am at goal weight, my back and my knees wouldn't take it.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I was 188 before I got pregnant with my daughter....I am 5 ft 1. So that was about 50-60 pounds over weight so I lost about 30 before I got pregnant with her to avoid pregnancy complications. I gained about 45 while I was pregnant but dropped 30 pounds when I had her. I also breastfed. Anyway, hope that gives you some idea of where you may want to be:)) Good luck and have fun trying for that baby:wink:
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    At 5 ft tall, I would not get pregnant at 180lbs. I got pregnant the 2nd time at 200 (I'm 5'6"). I gained 17lbs during my pregnancy. I also had gestational diabetes and a c-section (not related to the diabetes)

It was tough, even gaining only 17lbs. The water retention and extra weight on my knees was bad (and I was only 29!) I got pregnant 4 weeks into my "diet" so it can happen fast!

It's sooooo much easier on the body when you are smaller and more fit. And you don't necessarily get pregnant when the time is perfect, just when sperm meets egg. And there's a couple million of them vs one egg :wink:

I may have one more child, and it will not be till I am at goal weight, my back and my knees wouldn't take it.

good info:smile:
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    if your doctor says losing 20 lbs is recommended, then that is what I would do.

anything you lose after that is good as well.

During Pregency the baby will take what it needs over the mother, it's natures way, that is why many women take pregancy vitamins designed for the baby's health.

I would get right to it and come up with a plan to bring it down, 20 lbs is really the minimum he/she is telling you.

Start to eat better and healthier and doing some exercise.

start today, why wait? we are here to help you and support you! I have three kids, they are awesome, not greater joy.

So let's get to it! Shall we?

*like* very good advice:smile: