fit bit tracker

Options
lauragoat
lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
Anyone ever used one yet? Dr. Oz just promo'd it on his show. Uploads to your computer exercise amounts??? Where can I get one???:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It looks really neat!
  • lauragoat
    Options
    Just checked out fitbit.com and they even have a restaurant database of food values in case you are looking to add to the MFP database. The fitbit looks really cool. Just starting to check it out.
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I may actually invest the money in it. I especially love that it tracks your sleep cycle! I suffer from insomnia and would love something like that.
  • lauragoat
    Options
    be sure to check out near the bottom where it says premium membership. The sleep feature really intrigues me as well, but not all features are free...
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I've been watching some auctions on Ebay for them, they seem neat and not as noticeable as the BodyBugg.

I just got a HRM so I am going to try that out with my exercises first.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have one, and pretty much everyone in my family/friends circle has bought one since.

The logging is free, no subscriptions. The sleep part will tell you time you went to sleep, time you woke up, how many times you woke during the night and what time they happened and how many hours of sleep you got.

I don't use it for tracking my diet (I use MFP)
  • Crazeyone
    Crazeyone Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for about a year and I love and they also have the best tech support you will ever find. We also have a great group on facebook that all cheer each other on
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have had one since January and love it. The free reports offered on the website are really great. I did do a free week of the advanced reporting but haven't made the plunge yet to purchase a year of it ($50).

For the amount of features offered, I think FitBit is definitely worthwhile. I like that it is much less noticeable than the GoWearFit or BodyBugg. I wear it on my bra. :smile:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just wearing a regular pedometer from the time you get up in the morning to the time you go to sleep each night. Weight Watchers suggests 10,000 steps/day but this is not realistic. I used to be part of a program that followed the CDC guidelines for 7,000 steps/day. This is accomplished by adding a 1/2 hour walk to your day. No need to invest in an expensive FitBit...just a regular pedometer will do you just fine. You can get them at a sporting goods store or Amazon.com

The 7,000 steps/day really works well--and I've seen people change their lives by wearing pedometers! I've seen folks start walking with their children, family, and friends and even go off blood pressure meds by making this small change. It also gets addicting where you 'need' to wear the pedometer daily and feel 'naked' without it. Remember the 7,000 is from the time you get up to the time you go to bed.

:)
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I love it. I have had mine since December and the back broke off of it two weeks ago. I felt so lost without it. Their customer support was great-all I did was email them with a photo of the broken item and they mailed me a replacement!

I find it very useful. I log my food here but it really motivates me to track my steps, my calorie burn, my activity level. 10,000 steps a day is absoultely attainable. I have no problem reaching that goal on any day that I go to the gym. I do'nt pay for the premium membership, but find that the stuff that is free is more than enough. This past month they started emailing me weekly summaries of all my statistics-that is free as well. And like others mentioned-it is quite discrete-I clip it to my bra. No one ever knows it's there. The bodybugg, while I am sure is more acurate with the calorie burn, is quite obvious-I would never be able to wear that to work!

I guess it depends on what your needs are. But, I definetely think the fitbit is worth it.

BTW, I got mine at Best Buy.
  • Johnsjm
    Johnsjm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Tracker as well. I love it! I thought 10000 steps a day was impossible and for someone who is sedentary...it is! However, just parking further away at a grocery store or when shopping gives you more exercise and those steps really add up quickly.

The Air Force Base HAWC or Health and Wellness Center are the ones who actually recommended the Fitbit to me. They are purchasing them and using them as part of their weightloss program.

I love how it shows you your activity level for the day, you can see when you walked up the stairs how your activity level increased...it is my mini-coach! I am part of a walking program with the HAWC and they gave us pedometers to wear to track so I wear the Fitbit and the pedometer at the same time to compare. The fitbit shows about 2000 steps less than the pedometer because the pedometer is so sensitive it will add 4 steps when I simply squat down. It is not accurate at all. I work at the base grocery store and part of my job is changing labels which requires squating or bending alot and pedometer picks up every movement of the leg even if it is not a true step.

One thing I don't like is since I work out in a pool, it can't track my activity (water jogging). That is the ONLY time I log activity in my Fitbit. The calories it shows you burned the rest of the time is pretty accurate. For my weight and height my sedentary burn amount is 2050 calories. On a day where I sit and do homework all day..the Fitbit will come within 100 calories of that number (depending on many times I get up and walk away from the boring homework :-)).

I track my food in MFP because their database is much larger...for now! Give Fitbit some time and theirs will grow as well! I do love their activites choices much better. They seem to be more indpepth.

I researched for months before I purchased my Fitbit. I was torn between the Fitbit or the BodyBugg/BodyMedia. The fact this thing is so small is what sold me. For women, they recommend you wear it connected to your bra which is where I wear mine so you can't see it which I love! I bought mine on Amazon.

This is a great investment or I like to call my personal coach!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    lauragoat wrote: »
    The sleep feature really intrigues me as well, but not all features are free...

For $20 USD I bought a used Fitbit Inspire 2, mainly because the Fitbits have a reputation for some of the best sleep tracking. I tried their paid membership, and then reverted back to free. Basic nightly sleep tracking is available to all free users, there are some add-ons that came with the paid membership, but I don't miss that.