Couch to 5k - how to figure out calories burned

Options
kmp327
kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
Anyone have a resource that makes this easy? Or do I have to count up the minutes walking versus jogging? Or get a heart rate monitor? I'm looking for a good website or something that makes it easy.

Replies

• timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor is gonna be your best choice :-)
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    HRM is best way to go! I love mine..use it for everything..even when I garden.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Just take an average. If your total was 2 miles and it took 30 minutes. That's 4 miles an hour. MFP should have a running 4 mph.
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    www.runnersworld.com

;)
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually add up the minutes so that I know it is a little more accurate. So for week one I think I ran for 8 minutes and walked for 22.
  • daleep
    daleep Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Which heart rate monitor brand etc.

Can you please give a brief description how it works.

What data do you have to feed in to give you the results.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I use the app- Endomondo- on my Android. It keeps track of everything but my heart rate (as I don't have a HRM at the moment).

The app can actually track the course you run (via GPS), tracks distance, calories burned, etc. The website is www.endomondo.com. You can find the app on the Android market or the Endomondo website. It works with Blackberry, HTC, Droid, and a host of other phones/ technologies.

I am sure there are similar such programs available. This is just the one I use for tracking all my physical activity, including C25K.

Hope this helps!
  • dendeeners
    dendeeners Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use the RUNKEEPER app to track my runs. It uses the GPS on your phone to track your run location and yes, it tracks your calories burned as well. I posted a picture of the on my blog if you want to check out the user interface:

http://liveitbuzzed.com/making-a-run-at-golden-gate-bridge

Otherwise, your best bet is a heart rate monitor. :smile:
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just take an average. If your total was 2 miles and it took 30 minutes. That's 4 miles an hour. MFP should have a running 4 mph.

That's what I do as well. I use MapMyRun.com to help figure out the milage.