Does green tea help in loosing weight? how much shld i drink

Options
any thoughts?

Replies

• sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It helps speed up your metabolism, so yeah, it could help you lose weight. I try and drink a cup of green tea each morning, but drinking water is more important.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Oolong tea from China has been proven to be effective in weight loss. I haven't tried it personally but some reputed companies make it like Twinnings from London. You can order from Amazon. Green tea is also a good source of anti-oxidants. So even if it doesn't help you in losing weight, it's still good for you. Twice a day should be good.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 cups a day, but I am an avid green tea drinker, having replaced my 3 cups of coffee with it. I would say even if you only have one you are getting some benefits.
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've read that in order for it to help in weight loss you'll have to drink quite alot of it, but a supplement of green tea capsule could help you on your way, I always have a green tea supplement, and I have got a Green tea & Acai berry supplement from Holland and Barrett to start after my current one runs out, will see if its any better!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    When you actually read the research on green tea and weight loss, you'll find that you need to drink an insane amount of it to actually boost metabolism enough to influence weight loss. Something upwards of 20 cups per day. :noway:

However, it does provide many antioxidants, so if you enjoy the taste of green tea, have at it! Just don't expect it to have a significant impact on your weight loss, although it may provide many other health benefits.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Green tea has been said to help aid with loosing weight because it is packed with antioxidants. Tea consumption has been associated with several health benefits, such as hydration, cardiovascular health, cognition, and weight management. These different health-related benefits have been linked with specific dietary compounds found in tea, such as flavonoids (including catechins), theanine and caffeine. So tea can truly be part of your healthy lifestyle. I have read that drinking tea first thing in the morning helps the best for losing weight. Green tea contains a lot of flavonoids catechins and modest amounts of caffeine, both have been proposed to affect how energy and fat are used in the body. I am not sure how much you can drink but keep in mind too much of it can make your teeth turn yellow. So like everything in moderation, I drink about 2-3 cups a day.
  • vanessadcampanelli
    Options
    just wondering i dont like the taste but heard its good for u .. but if water is good enough ahaha ill rather have that double or triple over green tea
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Green tea only helps with weight loss if it is fresh brewed and, as others have said, you drink a ton of it. I've been drinking it for about 5 years (as iced tea) in place of diet soda, but I brew a pot and make two pitchers of tea to last me several days, plus I like it very weak, so It hasn't had any impact on my weight. I figure it's still better than diet coke though.
  • treime
    treime Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oolong has some medical significance but green tea seems to be based on opinion.

Journal Article about Oolong:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19271168
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    It helps speed up your metabolism, also good for bloating..
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    good source of anti-oxidants
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    just wondering i dont like the taste but heard its good for u .. but if water is good enough ahaha ill rather have that double or triple over green tea

Tazo brand Zen Green Tea is pretty tasty to me. It's green tea with lemongrass and spearmint. I don't care for many other types, but this one is really nice to me.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It might have a minuscule effect, but it will be absolutely nothing compared to not eating that piece of cake or choosing to walk up the stairs instead of using the lift.

It is a nice refreshing healthy drink though, and a great alternative to drinking endless glasses of water - there is no downside. :smile:
  • rocksbabe
    rocksbabe Posts: 1
    Options
    I've heard that too and i've added it to my diet. I figure it couldn't hurt.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    WHY WILL NOBODY TELL ME HOW TO LOOSE WEIGHT? ALL I CAN SEEM TO DO IS LOSE WEIGHT, BUT I NEVER LOOSE IT!!!! :sad:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    ALL I CAN SEEM TO DO IS LOSE WEIGHT, BUT I NEVER LOOSE IT!!!! :sad:
    Mine is all too loose thank you very much. I want to tighten it! :bigsmile:
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    Have you tried Matcha green tea? It comes in powder form and is super good for you. I drank it instead of coffee about a year ago. I loved it because I felt very calm after drinking it too. It can be pricey but with some fat free milk and honey its really good. I noticed I was losing weight without even trying and I think it was from that? Can't b e sure though...