Why do you need to eat all your calories?

Options
I don't eat all of mine, and I'm losing weight.. I don't see why people are worrying about not reaching them.. Am I missing something?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It leads to loss of muscle mass and slow down of metabolism; and for many people, weight loss eventually stalls as the body tries to hold on to fat reserves out of desperation. Then, with your metabolism all slowed down, it's easy to gain all the weight back. If you want to make a long-term/permanent change, it's best to hit your calorie target.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Do a little research. This same question gets asked about every 5 minutes on MFP.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Its the general panic that goes on...hehe..
  • dawning
    dawning Posts: 32
    Options
    I don't eat all 1200 calories most days and I have lost 36 pounds. I usually eat betwwn 750-900. I have not been exercising but I will start a water arobics class tomorrow.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    I dont either and according to a questionnaire / post someone did, its pretty much a mix. I think it's a case of see what works for you.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It just works for some to eat their exercise calories. It works for me...so I do it. You are close to your ideal weight, I am not...I have lost 40 pounds and have another 70 to go. I don't know if that makes any difference or not. When I was not eating my exercise calories I plateaued.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If your set to 1200 calories per day that is the minimum intake for a female to maintain proper nutrition , if you don't eat the minimum you are risking starvation mode and at some point your metabolism will slow down and will will quit losing weight
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It leads to loss of muscle mass and slow down of metabolism; and for many people, weight loss eventually stalls as the body tries to hold on to fat reserves out of desperation. Then, with your metabolism all slowed down, it's easy to gain all the weight back. If you want to make a long-term/permanent change, it's best to hit your calorie target.

This
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I thought the same way as you for over 2 months and lost weight quickly. Then I hit a 2 month plateau because I wasn't eating enough calories. I started eating all of my calories, then started losing again. Your metabolism and BMR are going to be changing as you lose. I would advise eating so you don't hit a plateau because it sucks!
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    soo proud of you taso.. i was sooooooo expecting to read something else.LOL
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Oh my ... there are tons of posts on this one.
    The biggest reason is that if you don't eat enough, your body will go into 'famine' or 'slug' mode and you will not burn as much, as fast and possibly burn muscle rather than fat.
    If you are exercising but not going too deep into a deficit, then fine. But your deficit is built into the calculations the MFP program gives you, so there is no reason to make your body work harder with no compensation for the extra effort.Eating back calories may actually help it to burn more faster instead of wondering if it can afford to burn that much each time you work out.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There are multiple informative posts on that topic. Long story short, you don't want to starve yourself. Slightly longer story: If you are athletic at all, or work out, you need food to fuel your workouts and build muscle.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    You cant say - YOUVE GOT TO EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES - that is fundamentally wrong. Evidence shows you dont have to eat them back, I know how MFP works it out but see what works for the individual. Some do some dont, so find out whats best for you. (Evidence as in speaking to different ppl and reading posts of those that do and those that dont eat back).
  • clean115
    clean115 Posts: 59
    Options
    Oh I didn't know you had to... I have been doing the 1200 thing for 2 weeks and nothing has happened
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    129156679480544604.jpg
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You cant say - YOUVE GOT TO EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES - that is fundamentally wrong. Evidence shows you dont have to eat them back, I know how MFP works it out but see what works for the individual. Some do some dont, so find out whats best for you. (Evidence as in speaking to different ppl and reading posts of those that do and those that dont eat back).

Yes, there is lots of evidence here . I see the posts every day... "help! i'm staying under but not losing weight", "i keep gaining and losing the same 2 lbs over and over!", "help! I binged! i can't stop myself!", "i lost a bunch of weight but then i gained it all back".

Then take a look at the success stories on here, and look at the habits of people who have lost 50, 60, 80, 100 or more lbs, drastically transformed their bodies, minds, and lifestyle, and have STAYED successful over time.... check out how THEY eat....