OT: PSA for guys

Options
Aye yup... a Public Service Announcement for us Y chromosome carriers. This month, September, is National Prostate Awareness month! Which means, that if your 50+ years, or even mid 40's with certain circumstances, then make sure you get checked! There's a very simple blood test (screens for a different PSA, Prostate Specific Antigen) and a manual exam. The manual exam is quick and painless. And both could literally save you life!
For more info, you can copy and paste the url into your broswer:
http://www.fightprostatecancer.org/index.html ...or go see your doc!

On a side note, my genetic father died a few years ago, after having his prostate removed. For *whatever* lame reason, they didn't follow up with regards to checking his PSA levels for about 5 years. By the time they did, it was too late. So don't let that happen to any of my MFP bros in here, go get it checked!

Replies

• jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Aye yup... a Public Service Announcement for us Y chromosome carriers. This month, September, is National Prostate Awareness month! Which means, that if your 50+ years, or even mid 40's with certain circumstances, then make sure you get checked! There's a very simple blood test (screens for a different PSA, Prostate Specific Antigen) and a manual exam. The manual exam is quick and painless. And both could literally save you life!
    For more info, you can copy and paste the url into your broswer:
    http://www.fightprostatecancer.org/index.html ...or go see your doc!

On a side note, my genetic father died a few years ago, after having his prostate removed. For *whatever* lame reason, they didn't follow up with regards to checking his PSA levels for about 5 years. By the time they did, it was too late. So don't let that happen to any of my MFP bros in here, go get it checked!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Breast cancer gets 10X the press/attention as prostate cancer. As a wife, daughter, sister, niece & friend of men, I implore you guys to get yourself checked. :smooched: :smooched:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Breast cancer gets 10X the press/attention as prostate cancer. As a wife, daughter, sister, niece & friend of men, I implore you guys to get yourself checked. :smooched: :smooched:

I second that!!! we love our mfp men!!! get checked boys!!!
    hugs!
  • jamerz3294
    Options
    too important not to bump
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Hey Jamerz ~ thanks for posting this..... My husband had some problems in his TWENTIES... Yep, twenties. All you guys out there - go get checked for your future. If he had not had things taken care of then, he wouldn't have been around to see his kids grow up.

Thanks again Jamerz!!!
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'll bump for the cause
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    bumpin'
  • jamdblake4
    Options
    man the doc in the Navy stick me. prod me. starve me. now you want me to let them stick something up my A@@. I think I'll wait till I'm 50
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    man the doc in the Navy stick me. prod me. starve me. now you want me to let them stick something up my A@@. I think I'll wait till I'm 50
    Sooooo.... You sure? We could trade appointments..... OBGYN from age 18 or your little appointments starting at 40? *wink* *wink* Deal? I'd be on 2443_cloud_9.gif
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Sooooo.... You sure? We could trade appointments..... OBGYN from age 18 or your little appointments starting at 40? *wink* *wink* Deal? I'd be on 2443_cloud_9.gif

hehe I see me ob/gyn so frickin much! (like 6 or more times a year...lots of female problems. :blushing: ) I don't see why some guys make such a big deal out of a simple exam.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    so many bad Navy jokes that can be thrown in there,:laugh:

anyway bump for importance
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bumpage.

Oh and eat lots of lycopene!
  • jamerz3294
    Options

Bro, it only takes a second, and it causes NO pain! Considering that 1 out of every 3 men WILL have prostate issues, it's a safe bet to get checked out.

btw, if your doc has both of his hands on your shoulders, he's doing it wrong... and it doesn't take 20 minutes to complete.... :huh:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options

btw, if your doc has both of his hands on your shoulders, he's doing it wrong... and it doesn't take 20 minutes to complete.... :huh:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    My father finished his chemo for his prostate cancer about 1.5 years ago and is feeling great. His brother died from cancer which started in his prostate. Unfortunately, through many medical errors was told he had cancer and then didn't about 10 times. By the last time he was told her had it, it was too late and the cancer had spread throughout his body.

Please take care and have yourselves checked. It only takes a few minutes and can literally save your life.
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I lost my 53 year old brother last Nov. He actually had had the test done and it came back ok. They only dectected it when he was trying to get life insurance. By the time they realized what was wrong it had already gone into his bones. He passed away a little over a year from when he was diagnosed. While he was in a coma, I made my other 3 brothers call and make appointments to be checked. It has been devastating to lose him. So please guys, for the people who love you, go get checked!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I lost my 53 year old brother last Nov. He actually had had the test done and it came back ok. They only dectected it when he was trying to get life insurance. By the time they realized what was wrong it had already gone into his bones. He passed away a little over a year from when he was diagnosed. While he was in a coma, I made my other 3 brothers call and make appointments to be checked. It has been devastating to lose him. So please guys, for the people who love you, go get checked!

(HUGS) and I'm soooo sorry girl!!!

I hope your story and heart break will help others....I'm sure it will! bless you hon!

hugs and :brokenheart:
    Ali
  • jamerz3294
    Options

(HUGS) and I'm soooo sorry girl!!!

I hope your story and heart break will help others....I'm sure it will! bless you hon!

hugs and :brokenheart:
    Ali

Hugz bay :flowerforyou: The thing is that (usually) prostate cancer can be easily detected, and successfully treated, IF and only IF you catch it early on. So that's the push to have all of us guys get regular exams. :drinker: