How do I survive a night out on the town?

Options
Ok here's the story. I had a baby in July. I've been exercising and using MFP for about 4 wks now. I've lost about 10 lbs (last 3 lbs I'm uncertain about since it's happened just this week). I'm really happy about my progress thus far. Now here's the kicker...my friend's birthday party is tomorrow and it's almost the biggest event of the year for our little group of friends. We start with dinner and then to the bars/clubs for more drinks and dancing. Now remember I just had a baby! I haven't had a drink in almost a year and I'm REALLY excited about going out and drinking...not getting trashed...just drinking. The restaurant or should I say bar & grill we are going to doesn't have their nutrional info online or in house. From what I can tell their menu is pretty...for lack of a better word MANLY. It does have some salads and wraps but mostly burgers, steaks, etc. I WANT to eat and I WANT to drink but I want to be smart about it and not look like I'm DIETING. Any suggestions on what to eat and what to drink?? I love rum. It will be my alcohol of choice for the evening :)

Replies

• Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Ok here's the story. I had a baby in July. I've been exercising and using MFP for about 4 wks now. I've lost about 10 lbs (last 3 lbs I'm uncertain about since it's happened just this week). I'm really happy about my progress thus far. Now here's the kicker...my friend's birthday party is tomorrow and it's almost the biggest event of the year for our little group of friends. We start with dinner and then to the bars/clubs for more drinks and dancing. Now remember I just had a baby! I haven't had a drink in almost a year and I'm REALLY excited about going out and drinking...not getting trashed...just drinking. The restaurant or should I say bar & grill we are going to doesn't have their nutrional info online or in house. From what I can tell their menu is pretty...for lack of a better word MANLY. It does have some salads and wraps but mostly burgers, steaks, etc. I WANT to eat and I WANT to drink but I want to be smart about it and not look like I'm DIETING. Any suggestions on what to eat and what to drink?? I love rum. It will be my alcohol of choice for the evening :)
  • Gator4RTR
    Gator4RTR Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Go and have a good time! You cant let the diet run your life completely! :flowerforyou:

Just make good choices off the menu and you will be fine. As far as drinking goes, Gin & Tonic is my drink of choice!! :wink:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I say get what you want and just eat half of it.
    Have a great time and have a drink for me:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Adrienne has great advise. Portions are so huge that you will probably be full with half or less anyway, especially if you are laughing and talking too.

Have a fabulous time.

If you have not had alcohol in awhile you may not be able to drink the same as you drank before. I'm not telling you how much to drink or not drink, just that your body may have changed a bit and be aware of that to pace yourself to the rate you feel most comfortable drinking.:drinker:
  • desti_99
    desti_99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hey...night out with friends, or even just at their house, where the "bad" stuff is available are my hardest times too. I do believe in having what you want, but I personally don't have any self-control. At least I know it so I don't stock any of that stuff, and plus, I actually like all the healthier stuff I eat.

Anyway, I have a big salad at home before I go out and then usually sample the various things we order but don't usually order a whole meal for myself (again...cause I'd eat those huge portions). It's helped me.

As for drinking, rum and diet coke might be the way to go....but diet coke, yuck from my pov. I like this website on cocktails and calories: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/low-calorie-cocktails

Good luck!
  • eer205
    Options
    I like to find out where in town we are going and then I download a copy of the menu and choose what I want and figure out the calories before I go. And, when I know in time, I like to plan the day before so that I can adjust my calories throughout the day. :) Good luck.
  • nuttyrubs
    Options
    just go for it..once in a while you need to do it
  • nuttyrubs
    Options
    just go for it..once in a while you need to do it
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    one way to help is to exercise a lil more that day to cover those calories, thats what i do :laugh: i usually cheat once a week but end up making up for it by working out more that day, and it keeps me from cheating the rest of the week- knowing i get my one day to eat what i really want, but like said above, order, and eat half, and you can look up calories of drinks you may be having, if i know how many calories are in something ahead of time, i'm less likely to go too overboard..... but either way have fun, its not something you do everyday, what good is all of this if you don't get to live once and a while
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I plan on going a little over board on the exercise today so that I earn some calories plus I will eat extremely healthy (more so than usual) for the day that way I have more calories for dinner. Plus we will be dancing at some point this evening and I can work a few calories off that way too. I just have to remember not to get discouraged after I log everything and see than I went over...cuz I probably will :) What's the point of life if we aren't LIVING right?
  • ShanIsRad
    Options
    I would log an estimate of how much time you would be dancing now, you may be surprised at how much 1.5 hours of it can burn! For me, it was 536 calories! Also, maybe try looking up drinks you think you may have, it can give you a better idea of how the night may go.