Eco-Friendly Bags. Where to get them?

Options
chickadee2010
chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
Hey! This is totally off topic lol. I have a few questions. You know those bags that are made of mesh material, possibly? Kind of like netting; they're the ones that you can use over and over again and they're eco-friendly. Hopefully you get what I'm talking about because I'm not sure how to explain it haha. So, where can I get them? How much do they usually cost? And do you know any places that gives you like five cents each time you bring a bag to use? Thanks!

Replies

• jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores have the not-so-cute ones (just my opinion). But there are a lot of super cute ones online.
  • amazingmae
    amazingmae Posts: 5
    Options
    You can make your own out of T-shirts and tank-tops. Just take the sleeves off of t-shirts, turn them inside out and sew straight across the bottom of the shirt. Turn it right-side out and put your arms through the sleeves for handles.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I can mail you two if you wanted. I have one too many... They aren't netted... Those I did find on etsy.com and I used those for my produce but I have my cloth one for the total purchase.... You can buy them at any grocery store or just find a cute tote bag at the mall... Let me know and I hope this helps
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/RobinK/My%20Documents/Downloads/netted%20bag.jpg

I knit my own with cotton yarn. They're amazing!
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! And that would be awesome to make your own. I'm horrible at knitting and crocheting. I can only make a chain on chochet. And that's a good idea of making them out of t-shirts.
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bath and body works has some
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You could quit hugging trees and use the ones they give you for free with purchase at the store. Trust me a plastic bag or two isnt hurting the environment anymore than Al Gores private jet or HVAC consumption. And on top of that why would you pay for something that you can get for free?!?
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Plastic shopping bags cost 5 cents each here - the grocery stores will sell the reusable ones, but I get them often from conferences at work.
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    All the stores? A nickel a bag? Where do you live Cuba? Lol

In all seriousness though I would bring back the plastic bags every time then.
  • fishrockstar
    fishrockstar Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just please bring enough (or more than enough) for the amount of food you are buying. Nothing is more annoying to a bagger than when someone comes with a shopping cart full of food and only 2 reusable bags, it just wont fit.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Oregon has been trying to ban plastic bags or make you pay a nickel a piece for each one. Not sure what is happening with it though.
  • Scheherazadea
    Options
    Trader Joes has a pretty decent variety of green grocery bags that usually run for about a buck a piece. Though by now, most stores that sell groceries of some sort also sell those bags. :-)
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Oregon has been trying to ban plastic bags or make you pay a nickel a piece for each one. Not sure what is happening with it though.
    I heard about doing that, I think a early 09 they suggested that. It was one the news one day lol. I do kind of think that's a good idea though. It would help the environment. :)
  • chickadee2010
    Options
    Just please bring enough (or more than enough) for the amount of food you are buying. Nothing is more annoying to a bagger than when someone comes with a shopping cart full of food and only 2 reusable bags, it just wont fit.
    True.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You could quit hugging trees and use the ones they give you for free with purchase at the store. Trust me a plastic bag or two isnt hurting the environment anymore than Al Gores private jet or HVAC consumption. And on top of that why would you pay for something that you can get for free?!?

I have a little math problem from you. Once you figure out how to do it, THEN come back and repeat what yo said.

Here's the math problem. Take every adult in the US, multiply that number by how many times they go to a store per week and that number by their average number of bags for said purchases, now multiply that by weeks in a year. For some real fun try doing this with other countries and add those all up for worldwide consumption. Now what was that about "a plastic bag or two"?

Kindly pull your head out of the sandbox you've buried it in and have a bit more social and ecological responsibility. Might I suggest starting with these:
    http://www.storyofstuff.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/No-Impact-Man-Adventures-Discoveries/dp/0374222886/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306814599&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Uncensored-Original-Upton-Sinclair/dp/1440451443/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306814746&sr=1-6 (History and background, it's good to know)
    http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-Eaters-Manifesto/dp/0143114964/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306814864&sr=8-2

(For those who don't want to do the calculations it comes out to something like 100 billion plastic bags in the US alone. That's certainly more than "one or two"...)
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ^probably litters too
    *Native American on horse sheds a single tear*
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I reuse the net bags that 5# of oranges come in. i know, a bit extreme. But seriously, i go to the farmers market once a week, and i see so many people with reusable market bags, filled with plastic bags from the various vendors. doesn't make any sense.
  • NobodyKnows
    NobodyKnows Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I buy my groceries at Aldi and use their empty boxes instead of bags. I keep a few of their boxes in the car at all times.