Fat is the new "Thick"--- Yes I said it Sisters!

Options
MzDontStop
MzDontStop Posts: 16 Member
Well Thick is the new Fat and it's not really healthy. I get compliments all the time by men who say "you look good and thick." Thanks but it's not really good for my heart to be "thick." I totally understand the visual aspect of having curves BUT enough is enough with this euphemism.

I plan to loose the body fat, gain muscle and maintain healthier eating habits. I now cook mustard/collard greens with olive oil and smoked turkey. The fat from the meat is trimmed and thrown away and guess what? Family and friends enjoy the taste of this Southern American inspired side dish.

Mineral water has become my new friend instead of always drinking alcohol when socializing. To cut back on sugar and additional unwanted calories, I drink plenty of water. Thanks to eggs whites for breakfast I've noticed a few things: I have more energy in the morning and I am restricting calories for the day. Wow what a difference a sensible low fat breakfast makes. If I desire to eat meat, then 2 slices of lean turkey bacon satisfies my palate. Overall I'm sleeping better and my wonderful co-workers are starting to notice my weight loss.

So Sisters, here's to recognizing when "thickness" is code for a guaranteed journey to an unhealthy heart. Let's save ourselves needless medical interventions such as blood pressure pills and feeling/looking so out of breath when exercising go going up a flight of stairs.

We can live longer, look attractive and still up hold the flavor of delicious southern down home cooking.!!!!!!

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    you can say that again! Im so tired of the question "are you thick?' Im like no Im fat lol
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    AMEN Sista...:flowerforyou:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yes, my story years ago starts with the word "thick." So, I'm teaching summer school to 1st graders and one of our sight words for the day was thick. Little girl says, "Thick means like my teacher is thick?" I wanted to die. I didn't want kids to see me as thick when I saw thick as just another word for fat!
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Love it! Well said :)
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Fat is the new thick and it's not really healthy. I get compliments all the time by men who say "you look good and thick." Thanks but it's not really good for my heart to be "thick." I totally understand the visual aspect of having curves BUT enough is enough with this euphemism.

I plan to loose the body fat, gain muscle and maintain healthier eating habits. I now cook mustard/collard greens with olive oil and smoked turkey. The fat from the meat is trimmed and thrown away and guess what? Family and friends enjoy the taste of this
    Southern American inspired side dish.

Mineral water has become my new friend instead of alcohol to also cut back on sugar and unwanted calories. Thanks to eggs whites I also notice a difference in my morning work routine. I have more energy and sleep so well.

So Sisters, here's to recognizing when enough is too much "thickness" is code for an unhealthy heart. Let's save ourselves needless medical interventions such as blood pressure pills and feeling/looking so out of breath when exercising.

We can do it and live longer!!!!!!

Gracentrue

Totally agree!!! I have a family member who purposelly gained weight so her butt would jiggle....dumb:noway:

Now she is overweight and has a tummy that she just can't seem to get rid of....duh:huh:

I know just what you mean....I REFUSE to settle in with that backwards mentality which has been laid as a foundation to make eating whatever and living an unhealthy lifestyle okay....no thanks!!! You go girl!!! Love the post:flowerforyou:
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Be careful though to not fall into excess. Skinny is not healthy either.

Anorexic teens are as much unhealthy as fat teens.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Speaking of backwards mentality, people who walk around boasting that their body is "all natural" when they are just fat. I never saw anyone pay the plastic surgeon to look that way...you get that way by eating too much, not by paying for it...although I guess indirectly you are paying for it..
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Ohhh my!!! I just got the thick compliment over the weekend! lol.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Speaking of backwards mentality, people who walk around boasting that their body is "all natural" when they are just fat. I never saw anyone pay the plastic surgeon to look that way...you get that way by eating too much, not by paying for it...although I guess indirectly you are paying for it..

I agree to an extent.... some people do just "naturally" have a bigger bulid no matter how hard they work at it, but not to the point of being excessivly overweight and unhealthy.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Preach!! Thick is a tight bod with curves...not jelly with an absurd amount of body fat. I'm soooooo trying to get mine down. I'm sitting at 32%. I've come a long way but I have a longer way to go. But I'm on it!!
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    Goodness, SO true. Or even my friends have said, "Oh you don't need to lose weight, you're beautiful!" Well being 40 pounds plus overweight is not a beautiful thing and if I don't change my lifestyle now there will be severe health consequences sooner than later!